Samsung Galaxy S5 — WiFi wont turn on after Lollipop Update

• Replies:47
Matthew Palazzola
  • Forum posts: 3

Mar 6, 2015, 3:18:31 AM via Website

Hi,

Recently, about 2 weeks ago, I updated my software to Lollipop and had no issues with my wifi connection. Due to battery drain I attempted a Settings Reset which did not fix the issue. I did not want to try a factory reset at the time.

Shortly after the Settings Reset, I ran into the current problem I am having. My WiFi wont turn on at all. It permanently remains off. In the WiFi screen itself the bar remains on off, though I can drag it to the on side, but it will not stay or turn green. It remains gray when I drag it.

There is the same problem with the quick access menu. I can highlight the button and it will look green, but as soon as I move my finger it changes to gray. It will not connect at all. I had read about possible solutions for the same issue on older operating systems and thus far have attempted the same setting reset, pulling the battery, booting in safe mode, and also using the cache wipe. Nothing seems to have fixed the issue.

I also read that a factory reset "may" fix it, however there was no guarantee. As I don't want to lose any settings or information, including call logs, text messages etc, I don't want to do a factory reset if it wont fix the problem for sure, or if the problem will come back. Is it possible an update is coming to fix this? Has anyone else encountered the same problem?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

* I accidentally posted this on the Active forum when I meant to post it here. I am using a Verizon Phone.

skyrailalok singhNichole Clement

Nicole White
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 12, 2015, 8:47:45 PM via Website

I am having the same exact problem and cannot find a solution. I have already wiped cache partition and this did nothing. I've done two factory data resets to maximize my battery usage after the lollipop update and really don't want to go through that again if it can be avoided. I too am a verizon customer.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Ivo Mileusnić
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 16, 2015, 12:46:50 PM via Website

Since Lollipop 5.0. update only troubles and problems. had no WiFi issues until that damn update to Lollicrap 5.0. Still no solution to problems from Google. TouchWiz gone completly mad and google apps can't be disabled and only make problems. I would like to get a refund for my phone since Samsung and Google do not have solutions to problems but I live in croatia where getting a service or a refund is a dream.

Ellen Bos

Mar 19, 2015, 10:08:12 PM via Website

We are experiencing the same problem. Did you fix it yet? We tried everything, but nothing seems to work,

Could you help us out?

Thanks!

Fred Spitzer

Mar 25, 2015, 9:27:52 PM via Website

I am having the same issue. I also did a settings reset and could not turn WIFI on afterwards. I have yet to find a solution to the problem.

steve
  • Forum posts: 12

Mar 26, 2015, 1:31:39 AM via Website

ive had 5.0 and 5.01 on my nexus 4 since Nov and had the same problem connecting to home wifi, and the only thing thats ive been able to do is repeatedly put my password into the phone.It pretty annoying awaiting 5.1

Bijendra Bijen
  • Forum posts: 5

Mar 26, 2015, 9:50:08 AM via Website

Having Same problem, first time it automatically resolve after connecting the PC. But some time shows same problem in S5 device....I m trying i ll post if i find and you guys post if u find

Fred Spitzer

Mar 26, 2015, 3:50:39 PM via Website

Hey All,
Today I tried a second SETTINGS RESET, and I resolved the WIFI not turning on issue. It worked for me, hopefully it will work for you as well. Good Luck!!

Juma e luna

Matthew Palazzola

Mar 26, 2015, 4:02:13 PM via Website

By settings reset do you mean a full factory reset to defaults? Did you lose all your texts and other settings?

I had contacted Samsung, they don't know how to fix the problem and only suggestion is to send the phone to a technician to fix it...

anaraa.1099

pradeep shah

Mar 26, 2015, 4:02:46 PM via App

Fred Spitzer

Hey All,
Today I tried a second SETTINGS RESET, and I resolved the WIFI not turning on issue. It worked for me, hopefully it will work for you as well. Good Luck!!

Fred Spitzer

Mar 26, 2015, 4:12:52 PM via Website

Matthew Palazzola

By settings reset do you mean a full factory reset to defaults? Did you lose all your texts and other settings?

I had contacted Samsung, they don't know how to fix the problem and only suggestion is to send the phone to a technician to fix it...

No, I did not want to do a Factory reset. This issue started for me after I did a SETTINGS RESET, so I tried another SETTINGS RESET and it fixed the issue.

Nichole Clement

Bijendra Bijen

Mar 30, 2015, 11:02:05 AM via Website

Guys setting Resent means setting>back up and reset>factory data resent correct? i did but still not working any idea really appreciated..Please tell me.

Nichole Clement

Bijendra Bijen

Apr 1, 2015, 8:04:00 AM via Website

Even downgrade kitkat 4.4.2 don't solve the problem.....Shit lollipop and Samsung still don't have solution..........Please any one tell me solution really much appreciated..

Bijendra Bijen

Apr 1, 2015, 9:40:17 AM via Website

Finally, Kitkat 4.4.2 solve problem.........try it.

Shawn worrix

Apr 15, 2015, 10:56:34 PM via Website

how do you flashback to KitKat. I am having the same exact problem and cannot find any fix I can't even toggle on my wifi

Mubariz Anjum

Apr 17, 2015, 11:15:05 PM via Website

I had the same problem when I upgraded my phone over Samsung kies. I tried everything and then I came to an conclusion to go back to my old firmware. But for some reason I tried one last time and this time I used odin v3.09 with a wifi fix file which you can find online (type into YouTube: wifi fix file for android) and then you should flash this file into your phone over downloading mode (hold down power+volume down+home button until and screen with a caution sign come's up) connect your phone to the computer with a USB cable. Open odin and it should be connected if there is a blue box in the top left corner, click on AP and load the file. All the steps are done and now you just have to press start and wait for it to finish it usually only takes 2 minutes.

*All this includes developing skills if your phone is harmed in any way I do not hold responsibility for it.

Bijendra Bijen

Apr 19, 2015, 12:40:34 PM via Website

Friend I have same problem. I pulled battery when my phone is on..this worked for me when i was using lollipop but the wifi connected and not stay for long time. It was connected and disconnect. I don't know how it works but it did for me..(but try it in your own risk). Finally, i decided download kitkat 4.4.2 from sammobile.com and installed by using Odin3 v3.09. this also is a professional work if you think you can you can do it in own risk. Be sure that cable must be original and prper driver has installed in your PC. (you can do it in your own risk, i write it to help you if any thing goes wrong the responsibility is not mine.)

Dip

Juma e luna

May 3, 2015, 11:58:19 PM via Website

Ivo Mileusnić

Since Lollipop 5.0. update only troubles and problems. had no WiFi issues until that damn update to Lollicrap 5.0. Still no solution to problems from Google. TouchWiz gone completly mad and google apps can't be disabled and only make problems. I would like to get a refund for my phone since Samsung and Google do not have solutions to problems but I live in croatia where getting a service or a refund is a dream.

I think the best solution for this product is come back at the previous firmware update kit kat finger cross it may be work perfectly like before of lollycrappy...

lescal32

May 12, 2015, 7:17:48 PM via Website

I reset to factory and my wifi is working. So far all information has saved and current.

Roger Harp

May 18, 2015, 12:06:32 AM via Website

I had the same problem and the "settings reset" did the trick.

Eric Flowers

May 18, 2015, 1:45:14 PM via Website

If you have an SD card installed, remove it and restart your phone. Hope this does the trick. Sucks, but it's the only thing I could find that will work.

Kent SomervilleNichole ClementJacob MinardiAndrey Cruz

anaraa.1099

Jun 5, 2015, 2:55:09 AM via Website

hi, Im a galaxy s5 user.
my wifi has a very same problem with you.
If you fixed your problem without reseting your device would you share your experience please?

Ryan Mcintosh

Jun 15, 2015, 10:08:09 PM via Website

Matthew Palazzola

Hi,

Recently, about 2 weeks ago, I updated my software to Lollipop and had no issues with my wifi connection. Due to battery drain I attempted a Settings Reset which did not fix the issue. I did not want to try a factory reset at the time.

Shortly after the Settings Reset, I ran into the current problem I am having. My WiFi wont turn on at all. It permanently remains off. In the WiFi screen itself the bar remains on off, though I can drag it to the on side, but it will not stay or turn green. It remains gray when I drag it.

There is the same problem with the quick access menu. I can highlight the button and it will look green, but as soon as I move my finger it changes to gray. It will not connect at all. I had read about possible solutions for the same issue on older operating systems and thus far have attempted the same setting reset, pulling the battery, booting in safe mode, and also using the cache wipe. Nothing seems to have fixed the issue.

I also read that a factory reset "may" fix it, however there was no guarantee. As I don't want to lose any settings or information, including call logs, text messages etc, I don't want to do a factory reset if it wont fix the problem for sure, or if the problem will come back. Is it possible an update is coming to fix this? Has anyone else encountered the same problem?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

* I accidentally posted this on the Active forum when I meant to post it here. I am using a Verizon Phone.
I had the same issue and had to do the settings reset twice and it worked . Not factory reset just settings reset. Good luck

Nichole Clement

Billie Faulkner

Jun 16, 2015, 12:52:29 AM via Website

I have the same problem as everyone else on this forum. Galaxy S4 on Verizon worked fine until Lollipop. Then after updated to lollipop via my home wifi - so it was working just fine. Immediately after updating, my phone won't connect to my home wifi. It It repeatedly tries to connect (says, "Connecting ...") but it never actually connects. It then says "Saved, Secured" under my home wifi network name in the Wi-Fi settings on my phone.

I have tried resetting the phone (including by removing battery), resetting the router, resetting the modem; toggling wifi on/off; toggling airplane mode on/off; resetting router to factory settings; and pretty much everything else. The wifi connection works on all my other devices so the modem & router are working just fine.

When might the Gods that be provide a fix?

p.s. Everyone I know with a Galaxy S4 or Galaxy S5 are having the same wifi issues and so far, the only fix has been to purchase a NEW wireless router.

Andrey Cruz

Jul 2, 2015, 1:56:11 AM via Website

Eric Flowers

If you have an SD card installed, remove it and restart your phone. Hope this does the trick. Sucks, but it's the only thing I could find that will work.

Hi guys, I have tried a lot of the tips you gave in this blog, and the only thing that works was removing my SD card and restarting, WiFi starts working again.

Kurtis Thompson

Jul 22, 2015, 9:43:20 PM via Website

Hey guys, been having the same kind of problem with my wife's phone. Tried factory reset, tried clearing the cache, tried going to settings and using the "WiFi Help" just to be sure... her wifi doesn't even turn on.

When I tap the WiFi tab to turn it on, it doesn't move and in the WiFi connections area it just says "Turning on..." and doesn't.

And then...

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance guys..

Patrick Toggweiler

Jul 26, 2015, 6:01:23 AM via Website

Just wanted to thank you Eric Flowers! To remove the SD card was the solution for me. I brought it twice to service. Now it's the third time this happens and I don't live in the country anymore where i bought the Galaxy Tab S 10.5. Removing the SD card did the job. Great input there!

Jacob Minardi

Aug 1, 2015, 4:45:24 PM via Website

Ok yesterday my wifi was connecting unconnecting and then reconnecting again every 30 seconds. So read forums and found settings reset and to unplug the modem and back in. It worked. However last night I charged my phone and woke up today found I was only on mobile data. Tried turning on wifi but it didn't work. Cleared cache, ended processes, shut off my phone and back on and power reset. No luck. Came across this forum and tore off my otterbox, reset the settings again and tore out the battery and sd card and put it all back in to reseat everything and so far I'm connected to my wifi again. Thanks for the help. Lollicraps a joke. Nothing but negative feedback.

faraz arabi

Aug 11, 2015, 12:09:45 AM via Website

i just made an account to thank you.finally it worked .I had this problem for about two months. it started after that damn lollipop update .well done Samsung.

Rodrigue Nasser

Sep 5, 2015, 7:04:29 PM via Website

I too have created an account just to THANK you.

Thank you, Eric

RoKa

Sep 6, 2015, 9:31:12 PM via Website

Eric!!! thanks so much, also registered only to say Thanks!!!!!:)

ELHELALY

Sep 18, 2015, 10:07:50 AM via Website

I solved it
I tried all solutions above. But In my case, simply turning off the GPS solved the problem
I hope it will work for you too

Rodrigue Nasser

Sep 30, 2015, 3:22:24 PM via Website

Guys,

Does anyone have a definitive solution?
The SD card trick worked for me at first.
Then I had the same issue and this trick would not work.
Next, I just turned on my phone off and on again several times then after like 20 trials, I was called up and went away to come and find that the wifi was working again.
I am habing the same issue again; only that it is both the bluetooth and the wifi now.

Does any one know what the problem truly is and how to fix it?

Souvik Ghosh
  • Forum posts: 15

Oct 10, 2015, 8:02:17 AM via Website

It must be a bug. Following steps works for me

Go to recovery mode
Wipe cache/ delvik cache
Wipe data to factory reset
Backup sd card and format sd card.

Sid Wolfe

Feb 12, 2016, 9:37:09 PM via Website

I two have and S5 and had the same WIFI problem, so I tried to shut down my cell and when the screen came up I thought I would just try the restart, and when it rebooted, behold it was and still is working fine! Hope it works for you as well good luck!!

The Rabbit

Feb 18, 2016, 5:34:40 AM via Website

This plagued me on galaxy s5 for a whole month.Bought phone with 4.2.2. on it.Bluetooth wouldn't stay and wifi stayed light green.Just took to bestbuy to Samsung experience shop and they updated it to lollipop. (2/17/16) After they upgraded the software , Bluetooth would stay switched to on but it wouldn't scan or anything. WiFi just still stayed light green.What I did was took device home and set the Bluetooth toggle switch to on and hit the phone on the backside to the right of the camera right next to the volume up or down with the palm of my hand.Then suddenly Bluetooth actually started searching and connecting to my other devices.So at that moment I still had no WiFi so I just popped the battery out(while device was still on ) removed sim,SD card and powered it back on holding down home,power,and volume up key.A screen should come up with one option to clear cache partition. CLear it maybe 6 to 10 times then choose the option to boot normally. After this my WiFi started to fully turn on.So afterwards I turned phone off reinstalled sim,SD and it's still working.Was without WiFi and Bluetooth on this phone for a full month and a half so this definitely works.

Aaron Wood

May 2, 2016, 12:19:33 PM via Website

Don't know if this'll work for everyone but this happened to me, exactly the same problem as described. What I did was plug my phone into PC and run Samsung Keis, there was an update there that seemed to have a patch for this bug because after the update I rebooted my phone and the problem was fixed. Hope this helps some if not everyone.

Daisy

May 10, 2016, 12:25:13 AM via Website

I tried ALL of the above, including removing the Memory card.. NOTHING worked...... THEN..Out of Frustration, I removed the SIM card too...

I put the battery back in, turned it on with NO SIM or SD card.. and it WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope it helps! :)

manicalic

May 11, 2016, 2:43:39 PM via Website

This is a funny issue.

Fixes mentioned in this thread:

• Remove SD card, reboot
  • Remove SIM card, reboot
  • Wipe cache + dalvik cache
  • Factory restore / settings reset
  • Downgrade / upgrade / rom re-flash
  • Flash kernel
    ^--- OK, this is what I found worked for me.

I lost WiFi after flashing modem via Odin on stock LL. Ended up with custom recovery and rooted device as a preparation for custom rom, but flashed just the kernel out of curiosity and WiFi came back!

Kuan

May 31, 2016, 10:45:36 AM via Website

Hi My wifi came back after I restart by taking out the SD Card. However when I put it back it doesnt read the card anymore.

Pls help. Tyvm.

Tanya Tee

Aug 13, 2016, 1:49:04 PM via Website

any fix on the above?

Lina Johns

Aug 21, 2016, 7:39:08 AM via Website

Removing the battery and putting it back will always fix the wifi. If it does not fix it then remove the SD card too. Put the battery back without the SD card and turn on the phone. Your wifi should be working.

If it is after an update this will not fail to work

— modified on Aug 21, 2016, 7:41:36 AM

Kendra Voyur

Aug 30, 2016, 5:21:40 AM via Website

I did my best, but I guess my best wasn't good enough!! One day old Samsyng A7 phone and yet Im having an issue connecting to WIFI, makes me nuts! Tried everything, but no luck, I will going to return this shit to the mobile shop ang get my money back! I guess Samsung is one hell of a crappy phone.

Allan

Nov 11, 2016, 3:14:27 AM via Website

Guys I had this problem and solved in minutes with a very easy step, just installed google now launcher and wifi came back to normal like magic.

Dr. J

Nov 17, 2016, 11:09:46 AM via Website

Found a workaround that I have not seen mentioned above. Created an account just to share, because I know how frustrating this bug is!

So yeah my Wi-Fi icon in quick settings also keeps blinking on and off every few seconds.

Things I tried that DIDN'T work:

• removing battery
  • removing MicroSD card
  • (un)checking Smart network switch
  • updating to Marshmallow (6.0.1 - via PC because no wifi :( )
  • YouTube video 'Fix Samsung Galaxy WiFi problems!!! - Howtosolvei' (no 'ON' button)
  • prayer

Workaround that DID work, and has worked repeatedly:

1. long press Wi-Fi icon in quick settings
  2. tap menu icon (3 dots in top right corner)

1. tap Help
  2. tap Turning Wi-Fi on or off
  3. tap START NOW and wait a few seconds

--> the list of available networks will appear and a wifi connection will be established. You may have to repeat 5. a few times before the list appears!

This won't permanently solve the problem. You will probably have to do this again every time you turn wifi back on after you've had it switched off for a while. It is a pretty quick workaround though.

I hope Samsung addresses this issue shortly, and in the meantime, I hope the above helps.

Jhontu Khan

Nov 25, 2016, 7:05:33 PM via Website

Samsung j56 wifi

Kent Somerville

Dec 12, 2016, 10:56:49 PM via Website

To clarify the above, which worked beautifully for me, I had to pull the SD card only once. When the phone restarted, WiFi hiccuped on the first try to turn it on, but came on and stayed on after that. I shut the phone down, re-inserted the SD card, started back up, and all was still well. Thanks for the tip, Eric. I did not want to go through all of the resets and gyrations others had mentioned. Glad I tried this first. Note: this was on an S5 Active.

— modified on Dec 12, 2016, 10:58:09 PM

usdudsj
  • Forum posts: 6

May 3, 2017, 1:50:55 PM via Website

The most common reason for wifi failure could be low memory space in your device.Check the RAM manager and see if the free memory is less than 45 MB. If it is, the Wi-Fi won’t turn on normally.The other reason may be the fact that power saving mode is on.Solution Of “Wi-Fi Won’t Turn On” Problem:

• Clear Memory
  • Reboot The Phone
  • Turn WIFI Power Saving Mode Off
  • Check Airplane Mode
  • Update Firmware And Change Channel Of Router
    Read more from Samsung S5 Manual- guideusermanual.com/product-name-galaxy-s5-manual&po=356337&lang=English