Samsung Galaxy S5 — Galaxy s5 Android Lollipop Update Issues

• Replies:21
Eirik Aronsen
  • Forum posts: 2

Feb 4, 2015, 9:36:50 PM via Website

I recently dowloaded the lollipop update, and my phone got really slow. The menu, Facebook, games and other apps is not working properly. Everything is lagging, the only thing i can do is call and send texsts, after some struggles with laggs.

— modified on Feb 4, 2015, 9:37:08 PM

Jamie

David G.
  • Forum posts: 7

Feb 5, 2015, 2:12:27 PM via Website

Eirik Aronsen

I recently dowloaded the lollipop update, and my phone got really slow. The menu, Facebook, games and other apps is not working properly. Everything is lagging, the only thing i can do is call and send texsts, after some struggles with laggs.

And this is why I DO NOT WANT Lolipoop....besides the fact that the new white background screens will eat way more battery than the existing mostly blacked out background I use today. There are at least 11 major issues appearing in this latest version of Android across all phones some of which are far beyond just an annoyance. You could consider rooting and then reloading 4.4.4 back in and waiting for at least 5.2 or 5.3 to come out with uh....bug fixes? Just my 2 cents worth but I'm staying on 4.4.4 on my daily driver (S5 - G900P) until I change phones when I'll have to update to 5.X. I'll use a junky clunky cheapo used and abused device to explore 5 on until then.

Eirik Aronsen

Feb 5, 2015, 6:35:42 PM via Website

Do you know how to do that?

Samantha Hudson
  • Forum posts: 17

Feb 6, 2015, 8:20:26 AM via Website

I hope your problem gets solved by the advice of the experienced AndroidPIT members.

Misha

Feb 9, 2015, 6:28:27 PM via Website

I updated my Samsung Galaxy S5 with Verizon's Lollipop update. I immediately noticed a general sluggishness. Folders could take up to 2-3 seconds to open. Applications such as Microsoft Outlook could take up to 7 seconds to open. Wifi seemed to drop fairly easily within our home. Prior to the update, the phone's speed and connectivity were very good.

My battery life also went downhill quickly. Prior to the update, I could use my phone all day and it would rarely get to 70%. With Lollipop, it quickly went into 40%. I also noticed that my usual trick of recharging it quickly by entering Ultra Power Saving mode didn't do much. In or out of Ultra Power Saving mode, the phone was recharging at a rate of approximately 1% per 10 minutes - significantly slower than it recharged before. If I used the phone and it was recharging, the battery continued to drain.

I did quite a bit of searching on various forums and determined that I needed to do a factory reset. Many people seemed to believe it helped substantially. Others indicated that they still had issues.

I reluctantly performed the factory reset last night. I am happy to say that performance is much snappier today. And my battery life is significantly better. It seems to be on par with what it was prior to the Lollipop upgrade, which I considered excellent.

Amazon's Kindle application doesn't recognize the dozens of ebooks I have stored on my SD card, although Kindle downloaded them to the SD card and had no problem recognizing them before the factory reset. Kindle won't allow me to change the device from the one that the Amazon Kindle application assigns. Essentially, it believes my phone is a new device, not one I had previously had. There doesn't seem to be any way to tell Kindle that my phone is one that I already have a profile for. Amazon's Customer Support doesn't seem to know what to do about it. Amazon Music, Amazon Audible work fine and recognize my music and audio books on the SD card.

I have also found that the Auto setting for Display Brightness is very inconsistent. At times, it seems to work fine and adjust properly given the available light. At other times - even in the same light and without moving the phone - the display is far too bright or too not nearly bright enough.

Verizon and the others should come out with some advisory regarding the right way to proceed with the upgrade. I suspect people should do a factory reset before upgrading to Lollipop. Performing a factory reset after the upgrade certainly seemed to help quite a bit in my case.

Carl Marsh

Eddy Jones
  • Forum posts: 4

Feb 10, 2015, 1:42:19 PM via Website

I updated 5.0 on my Sprint S5 and I haven't encountered any of these issues I will admit I'm not a fan of the white background scheme but I can live with it.

It did fix a major issue I picked up after the 4.4.4 update my camera would no longer focus period nothing I tried helped but after the 5.0 update problem solved.

Joy Whitley
  • Forum posts: 1

Feb 10, 2015, 4:50:04 PM via Website

Eirik Aronsen

My boost mobile s5 phone was upgraded to the new version last week and it also got sluggish and often locked up and also burnt thru the battery power in half the normal time.
But, I would restart the phone and it worked fine for awhile. So I've restarted my phone maybe 10 times a day for the last 5 days. It seems to be getting better with less restarts needed.

Cristea Bogdan-Alexandru

Feb 10, 2015, 8:26:27 PM via Website

Misha

I updated my Samsung Galaxy S5 with Verizon's Lollipop update. I immediately noticed a general sluggishness. Folders could take up to 2-3 seconds to open. Applications such as Microsoft Outlook could take up to 7 seconds to open. Wifi seemed to drop fairly easily within our home. Prior to the update, the phone's speed and connectivity were very good.

My battery life also went downhill quickly. Prior to the update, I could use my phone all day and it would rarely get to 70%. With Lollipop, it quickly went into 40%. I also noticed that my usual trick of recharging it quickly by entering Ultra Power Saving mode didn't do much. In or out of Ultra Power Saving mode, the phone was recharging at a rate of approximately 1% per 10 minutes - significantly slower than it recharged before. If I used the phone and it was recharging, the battery continued to drain.

I did quite a bit of searching on various forums and determined that I needed to do a factory reset. Many people seemed to believe it helped substantially. Others indicated that they still had issues.

I reluctantly performed the factory reset last night. I am happy to say that performance is much snappier today. And my battery life is significantly better. It seems to be on par with what it was prior to the Lollipop upgrade, which I considered excellent.

Amazon's Kindle application doesn't recognize the dozens of ebooks I have stored on my SD card, although Kindle downloaded them to the SD card and had no problem recognizing them before the factory reset. Kindle won't allow me to change the device from the one that the Amazon Kindle application assigns. Essentially, it believes my phone is a new device, not one I had previously had. There doesn't seem to be any way to tell Kindle that my phone is one that I already have a profile for. Amazon's Customer Support doesn't seem to know what to do about it. Amazon Music, Amazon Audible work fine and recognize my music and audio books on the SD card.

I have also found that the Auto setting for Display Brightness is very inconsistent. At times, it seems to work fine and adjust properly given the available light. At other times - even in the same light and without moving the phone - the display is far too bright or too not nearly bright enough.

Verizon and the others should come out with some advisory regarding the right way to proceed with the upgrade. I suspect people should do a factory reset before upgrading to Lollipop. Performing a factory reset after the upgrade certainly seemed to help quite a bit in my case.

Hey Misha, can u tell me if i do a factory reset...all my contacts, pictures, videos etc. will be deleted?
I need to do a backup first>

Thanx

Cristea Bogdan-Alexandru

Feb 10, 2015, 8:28:22 PM via Website

after the update to 5.0 lollipop did your wallpapers changed?
because in my case i have the same wallpapers form kitkat. Anyone in this situation?

thx

Misha

Feb 11, 2015, 2:39:41 PM via Website

You can backup your files using Samsung Kies or Helium. I had to download my applications, however, and login to my various accounts, including Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. All my text messages, contacts, and other information was restored. Even my Nova Launcher settings and folder structures came back exactly as they were prior to the upgrade.

It was a bit of a pain, but probably a good thing overall, since no operating system is perfect and I suspect any phone will benefit from a reset at the time of a major operating system upgrade.

Good luck!

Cristea Bogdan-Alexandru

Feb 12, 2015, 5:23:12 PM via Website

thx MIsha.
But how about the wallpapers. Yours changed or remained the same like kitkat?

Ram *
  • Forum posts: 15

Feb 13, 2015, 2:16:23 AM via App

dear friend
where is the taste of lollipop update. .... For s5 Indian variant. ...anybody please. .....
I'm maximum checking in my mobile for updates around 100 times per a day. ..
Please

Eddy Jones

Feb 13, 2015, 12:52:13 PM via Website

Eddy Jones

I updated 5.0 on my Sprint S5 and I haven't encountered any of these issues I will admit I'm not a fan of the white background scheme but I can live with it.

It did fix a major issue I picked up after the 4.4.4 update my camera would no longer focus period nothing I tried helped but after the 5.0 update problem solved.

I RETRACT MY PREVIOUS COMMENT

My S5 has started doing the most screwed up things apps force close and spontaneously open, unlocking the screen is sometimes impossible unless I remove the battery and then restart the phone.

Navigating through the home screens is aggravating to say the least. The only thing it didn't screw up was the auto focus on my camera which 4.4.4 screwed up.

I'm ready to trade it on on the S6 come on April.

Barry

Feb 14, 2015, 1:23:59 PM via Website

You don't need to root an S5 to downgrade the OS back to KitKat from Lollipop! You just need to use Odin to flash the ROM onto the device, just make sure that you have the correct ROM, that the version of Odin you've downloaded isn't riddled with trojans and viruses, and you read up on the procedure and thoroughly understand all the risks and what you need to do..

Good luck, and I'm about to downgrade my own S5 back to KitKat because Lollipop really sucks....

Eddy Jones

Feb 14, 2015, 3:24:38 PM via Website

You don't want it

— modified on Feb 14, 2015, 3:26:04 PM

Eddy Jones

Feb 14, 2015, 3:27:54 PM via Website

Ram *

dear friend
where is the taste of lollipop update. .... For s5 Indian variant. ...anybody please. .....
I'm maximum checking in my mobile for updates around 100 times per a day. ..
Please

Don't be in such a hurry,

I was and now I have it and my phone has become the biggest pain in the ***s

Look at the comments here none of these complaints are unfounded.

My S5 now has apps that force close and spontaneously open without anyone touching the phone.

Unlocking it is now hit or miss because the screen freezes up even though nothing is running.

And the worst thing about unlocking with the fingerprint scanner now being screwed up is that 4.4.4 actually made it easier to unlock that way.

When you do get it GOOD LUCK

evelyn tidwell

Mar 29, 2015, 9:00:06 PM via Website

Can you tell me the website you used to download Odin. Thanks

terry l

Apr 6, 2015, 6:35:20 PM via Website

I am also trying to go back to kit kat with my S5. In the process of downloading the firmware but cannot find a copy of Odin that does not also bring virus's with it...

Jamie

Laura

Apr 29, 2015, 1:58:53 AM via Website

I HATE LOLLIPOP.

I received this update yesterday, it would not let me cancel, or say NO. All I could do was snooze a reminder for 3 hours. I finally decided whatever this update was it must be important, as it would not let me deny it. I clicked OK and have NEVER been more ANGRY. When my phone came back on it was ORANGE AND GREEN WITH A BRIGHT WHITE SCREEN AND A LIGHT GRAY FONT.

I can NOT READ the screen.

I have called Samsung, Google, Bell...and they all tell me they can do nothing about it.

Whoever came up with this colour scheme should be immediately FIRED.

I purchased my phone because I liked the look of it, and could easily use it. I DID NOT agree to allow them to install a new operating system

Microsoft, would never send me an update to change my existing operating system to their newest version........WHY is my phone allowed to do this? if I wanted something else, I would go buy it.

I am now faced with paying $330 to get a different phone or live with a phone I can not use.

Anyone want to join me in a class action lawsuit???? LOL

Laura

Apr 29, 2015, 2:01:02 AM via Website

I can totally relate...and since when is forcing someone to have something they do not want LEGAL?

Xochitl Shatt
  • Forum posts: 7

May 5, 2015, 5:47:31 AM via Website

Build a website with WordPress.com

Chris Brooks

Jul 17, 2015, 8:00:26 AM via Website

If I do a factory reset will I get Kitkat back?