NX505J Nubia Z7 MAX: root, CWM recovery and CM11 ROM tutorial

• Replies:191
Allan Madoka
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 23, 2014, 1:39:09 PM via Website

Hi Senapus,
Firstly thanks so much for the step by step instructions they worked well although the USB adb driver I had to get elsewhwhere....now I have a problem my sim toolkit is not visible and I need it daily to access my Mpesa (Kenyan Mobile money system that is toolkit based) I've tried downloading a 3rd party toolkit to no success....please help....thanks

Senapus Petit
  • Forum posts: 70

Nov 23, 2014, 8:20:58 PM via Website

Allan Madoka

Hi Senapus,
Firstly thanks so much for the step by step instructions they worked well although the USB adb driver I had to get elsewhwhere....now I have a problem my sim toolkit is not visible and I need it daily to access my Mpesa (Kenyan Mobile money system that is toolkit based) I've tried downloading a 3rd party toolkit to no success....please help....thanks

You have to find a STK.apk and flash it using cwm recovery. I am sorry but I can't help you with that, I hope someone else can. Use Google, I'm sure somebody already has the files you need uploaded.

Inigoml
  • Forum posts: 4

Nov 23, 2014, 9:47:49 PM via Website

DannyNg

Hi All,

anyone tried this before?

FAKE. Sure. Do not try flash.

— modified on Nov 24, 2014, 11:54:00 AM by moderator

Inigoml

Nov 23, 2014, 9:52:01 PM via Website

Hi Senatus.

Wonderful ROM. I flashed four days ago in order to test it and I've stayed with it. Good battery life. I don't miss anything from Nubia 1.41 and multilanguage works perfectly.
Two minor bugs:
Unable to dial some numbers from contact (as reported) but only contacts in my secondary google account, not primary.
Sometimes gallery don't show screenshots and ever photos. Using Google photos instead.

Only thing I miss are:
- blinking led on notifications instead of solid led.
- double tap wake up. Kernel doesn't support but official kernel yes...

Thank you very much!! :-)

Jeff

Nov 23, 2014, 11:21:09 PM via Website

Senapus Petit

Barikad

Senapus Petit

cedric

Hi All,

Edition IV installed, I don't see any change and it's not the M10 version of CM11.
. some scrolable widget are not working (ex: calendar widget)
. In the contact list, nothing happened when you click on the telephone number
Same issues with the edition III nevertheless it's a stable and good ROM
Roll back to edition III
Thanks for this verison :)

As stated before, these issues you have can not be replicated on my device.
Scrollable widgets work and tapping on telephone numbers in contact list calls them.
I suggest you clean the device with factory reset, clear cache, dalvik cache, and system partition before flashing the ROM.

Same issues with Edition III: can't call from contact app. Searching from phone app force close. Plus: App2SD work fine... until reboot. After reboot all apps moved to sdcard are gone...
My coworker, who have the same devices, wait for the resolution of this issues for flashing ...
I will try your fourth edition next week end.

Thank you,
It's weird, I don't have the contact issue but it was reported once before.
I guess I'll add it to the bug list in the first page.

Hi All

I believe I have the solution to the contacts issue.

There are 2 options to access the contact's information

the first is to touch the picture beside their name.
the second is to touch their name.

Touching the picture gives access to direct dial their number by touching it.

Touching their name does not.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Senapus Petit

Nov 24, 2014, 11:42:57 AM via Website

Biggenz

I flashed CM11 this morning to see what it was like and to be honest, I didn't like it at all. The nubia UI is a lot nicer and looks more sophisticated.

It's not like we care lol
Enjoy what you like, but maybe somebody should introduce you to the concept of android launchers.
Functionality, that is why everyone loves custom ROMs. The look can be customized.

Senapus Petit

Nov 24, 2014, 11:49:41 AM via Website

Inigoml

Hi Senatus.

Wonderful ROM. I flashed four days ago in order to test it and I've stayed with it. Good battery life. I don't miss anything from Nubia 1.41 and multilanguage works perfectly.
Two minor bugs:
Unable to dial some numbers from contact (as reported) but only contacts in my secondary google account, not primary.
Sometimes gallery don't show screenshots and ever photos. Using Google photos instead.

Only thing I miss are:
- blinking led on notifications instead of solid led.
- double tap wake up. Kernel doesn't support but official kernel yes...

Thank you very much!! :-)

Hello,

I use a third party gallery app too.
The led does not pulse because of the official kernel ZTE never released. Devs on github are working on it, as well as the MicroSD USB mounting issue.
Double tap to wake has the same problem.
If you mail ZTE to request the official kernel source to be released they just ignore you and send an automated email back which sucks. We only can rely on devs on github.

Biggenz
  • Forum posts: 11

Nov 24, 2014, 9:59:14 PM via Website

Senapus Petit

Biggenz

I flashed CM11 this morning to see what it was like and to be honest, I didn't like it at all. The nubia UI is a lot nicer and looks more sophisticated.

Enjoy what you like, but maybe somebody should introduce you to the concept of android launchers.
Functionality, that is why everyone loves custom ROMs. The look can be customized.

I didn't ask you to care. I gave you my opinion.

So then tell me, what is so much better on CM11 that the stock UI can't do?

Senapus Petit

Nov 24, 2014, 10:09:17 PM via Website

Biggenz

Senapus Petit

Biggenz

Your comment is absolutely not helpful to this thread
The list of features CyanogenMod has over stock Nubia ROM are so many I can not even begin to list them. Google is your friend.
To begin with, CyanogenMod is not a UI.
I have already given a link to answer to a question like this before. Use the search function or read the whole thread before wasting everyone's time.

— modified on Nov 24, 2014, 10:11:57 PM

Kil Bin

Nov 25, 2014, 10:36:30 AM via Website

Hi Sen,
Another bug on my phone with edition IV : unable to add voicemail number on SIM 2
Hope you can do something on edition V (cool)
Thanks again for your work

Biggenz

Nov 25, 2014, 10:55:59 AM via Website

Senapus Petit

Biggenz

Senapus Petit

Biggenz

Your comment is absolutely not helpful to this thread
The list of features CyanogenMod has over stock Nubia ROM are so many I can not even begin to list them. Google is your friend.
To begin with, CyanogenMod is not a UI.
I have already given a link to answer to a question like this before. Use the search function or read the whole thread before wasting everyone's time.

The only one wasting anyone's time is you with this cobbled together version of CM11. When you have it working properly one day, come back then.

Senapus Petit

Nov 25, 2014, 9:50:54 PM via Website

Kil Bin

Hi Sen,
Another bug on my phone with edition IV : unable to add voicemail number on SIM 2
Hope you can do something on edition V (cool)
Thanks again for your work

I can not test this, but I'll add it to the bugs list in the first page.
Thank you for your report.

— modified on Nov 25, 2014, 9:52:54 PM

cmoi cmoi

Nov 26, 2014, 8:46:47 PM via Website

hello
I am French
a bug in IV Edition with camera
While recording video the focus is very regularly
It deteriorates the same video in 1080p or 720p
On the original rom the video recording is clean
I tested several apps without success

A solution?

thank you

Darek

Dec 3, 2014, 9:58:09 AM via Website

when i restart my phone apps installed on internal sd card are gone, but not data for them (app-50mb, data 500mb)

Alex PstrovBarikad

Alex Pstrov

Dec 8, 2014, 2:22:37 PM via Website

Hi!

I have the same problem. Missing programs that I installed on the SD card.

Barikad

Ali Owaidh
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 17, 2014, 12:40:12 AM via Website

Great work and looking forward for another update to fix the remaining bugs. Thanks

Ali Owaidh

Dec 17, 2014, 12:40:13 AM via Website

Great work and looking forward for another update to fix the remaining bugs. Thanks

Andrei Szornyi

Dec 21, 2014, 9:44:26 AM via Website

Hi There!
Yesterday I received this phone directly from china and has no google installed on it.
I'm from europe and are novice in terms of android!
I tried to install just like in tutorial but something happened when I got here:
"Run SuperSU Pro v2.0.0.apk on your phone Using Any file manager".
I want to know if installation services from Google must do exactly all four steps described above or may be different.
I searched on youtube tutorial and I found nothing.
I really like the phone and I wish I could instal it with more applications from Google.
Please help me!
Thank You!

ToulInash

Dec 21, 2014, 4:08:15 PM via Website

Hey Andrei,

Go to Settings -> security and tick the box for "Unknown sources"

Google "Google play services.apk" and "Google play.apk"

download them and put them on your device

Then use a file manager to navigate to them and once you find them, you can click on them and they will install.

Andrei Szornyi

Dec 22, 2014, 10:37:41 PM via Website

Hi Toullnash,
Thanks for those information!
I tried those things before asking help on this forum.
But i seems to be a problem with my phone, because i buy directly from Nubia in China and phone have the original soft.
And after i instal Google Play, i receive this message: "Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped". Any application which i tried to instal are giving me this message(Youtube,Chrome....).
Today i make a root on the phone with kingo ROOT.
But now i think i must re-install ROM and i don't know how... :(
Can you help me with this problem?
Sorry if my English is not very good!
Thanks!

Angelo Karageorgos

Dec 24, 2014, 8:11:36 PM via Website

Hello @Senapus Petit and all, thanks for the amazing information.

I have the Nubia Z7 mini, does this firmware work in mine too?
Also, I purchased the phone WITH google play and an app Superuser that can't be uninstall.

So when I downloaded and installed SuperSU pro when I opened it said that there is another app and will try to uninstall. When I press yes says that installation failed. My phone is rooted or not?

Because when i run an app called rashr says that it isn't. Also, when I go to CWM recovery it doesn't have the advanced option in order to Wipe Dalvik cache and I also can't find the downloaded zip in the sd card.

Can anyone point to me some directions please?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Gideon k. Fatiregun

Dec 28, 2014, 10:36:33 PM via Website

Hi guys, i tried to upgrade my z7 max through FOTA online update but not going. I finally got in v1.48 but no Google play service. I tried also gapps.zip through my micro sd card, but failed. I got error that signature verification failed and installation aborted. Also, my mobile shows

a quote goes here

Google play service has stopped
Pls i need your help.

Regards,
Gideon.

Raouf Melki
  • Forum posts: 5

Dec 28, 2014, 11:18:08 PM via Website

Hi there
I appreciate very much your work. I use CM11 IV and TWRP. Worked fine till i flashed unofficial ver 1.59 from needrom. afterwards i cannot reboot into bootloader. I can reboot into recovery, but when i select to reboot into bootloader, the pphone reboots and stucks on NUBIA logo screen. Do you have any idea? I tried all wipes, reloaded the firmware many times but in vain. Appreciate your help. Thanks

Raouf Melki

Dec 29, 2014, 9:58:55 AM via Website

I managed to flash again your CM11 ver IV. It works perfectly except that it does nothing when i click on a phone No. in the contacts list. With a long press a popup menu shows and asks for copy to clipboard, IP call, or edit number before calling. Still cannot boot into bootloader. Your help will be very much appreciated.
Merry Christmas

Raouf Melki

Dec 29, 2014, 12:10:56 PM via Website

Dear Sen

Something has gone wrong. I did a System backup with CMD6, afterwards i can neither reboot into recovery nor bootloader.

Sully Sullivan

Dec 30, 2014, 3:28:09 PM via Website

How difficult would this be to do with Linux? I don't have Windows. I do have this phone. I want gapps.

Also, anyone seen the Nubia website? They seem to have an Android 5.X build ROM that is already rooted that you can swap without issues and then you just need to flash gapps. My Chinese reading sucks so I am not 100% sure how correct I am. Looking for a second opinion!

Sully

Inigoml

Dec 30, 2014, 9:21:32 PM via Website

Lwang released a CM12 on December 24th. It comes without GApps, so they must be installed from CM12 site. Full wipe required, of course.

I've tested and works but there are some issues yet.

• some FCs at settings screen with SIM2
  • double tap to wake doesn't work.
  • some FCs with some Google apps (google movies, for example)
  • some problems with internal storage and data partitions where some apps don't know where to store data. I think it's due to exFAT internal storage and can be addressed formatting in FAT32

But in general it works quite well.

ROM:
htt ps://mega.co.nz/#!JANRlY7K!Q0VHsnqMFpTGIFJHZ59DQnpPKXGSesU6MPYeuup1YOs

GApps:
htt ps://s.basketbuild.com/filedl/gapps?dl=gapps-lp-20141109-signed.zip

— modified on Dec 30, 2014, 9:26:34 PM

Inigoml

Dec 30, 2014, 9:28:37 PM via Website

Angelo Karageorgos

Hello @Senapus Petit and all, thanks for the amazing information.

I have the Nubia Z7 mini, does this firmware work in mine too?
Also, I purchased the phone WITH google play and an app Superuser that can't be uninstall.

So when I downloaded and installed SuperSU pro when I opened it said that there is another app and will try to uninstall. When I press yes says that installation failed. My phone is rooted or not?

Because when i run an app called rashr says that it isn't. Also, when I go to CWM recovery it doesn't have the advanced option in order to Wipe Dalvik cache and I also can't find the downloaded zip in the sd card.

Can anyone point to me some directions please?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

There is a full thread for z7 mini at xda-developers.com. Use google. ;-)

Raouf Melki

Dec 31, 2014, 6:56:06 AM via Website

Gentlemen, Happpy new year.

I managed to flash again CWM. I use official Nubia ROM V1.59 from Needrom. Everything works fine, except that i cannot enter bootloader: i press (vol -) with power ON, it restarts and hangs on NUBIA logo screen. Any idea? My phone is Z7 Max.
Thanks and Happy New Year

Kil Bin

Jan 1, 2015, 7:58:47 PM via Website

Raouf Melki

I managed to flash again CWM. I use official Nubia ROM V1.59 from Needrom. Everything works fine, except that i cannot enter bootloader: i press (vol -) with power ON, it restarts and hangs on NUBIA logo screen. Any idea? My phone is Z7 Max.

Hi
Try (vol +) with power ON
Happy New year.

Raouf Melki

Senapus Petit

Jan 2, 2015, 4:39:18 PM via Website

Inigoml

Lwang released a CM12 on December 24th.

ROM:
htt ps://mega.co.nz/#!JANRlY7K!Q0VHsnqMFpTGIFJHZ59DQnpPKXGSesU6MPYeuup1YOs

GApps:
htt ps://s.basketbuild.com/filedl/gapps?dl=gapps-lp-20141109-signed.zip

Thank you for updating this thread,
Happy new year

For everyone: CM12 is still in alpha status. Expect issues to happen.

— modified on Jan 2, 2015, 4:40:55 PM

Raouf Melki

Jan 4, 2015, 12:52:43 PM via Website

Kil Bin

Raouf Melki

Hi
Try (vol +) with power ON
Happy New year.

Thank you for your reply. When i do like you say, i boot into recovery. Cannot boot into bootloader/fastboot.

Francesco Mantovani

Jan 5, 2015, 11:42:23 PM via Website

Wow hi all,

i just installed rom and is a very good good rom so i would like to know at who i have to "offer a beer" for this good job because i know that there is a lot of work behind . I have only a problem that i don't know if other ones have : in app "people" when i find the correct person i click on its phone number and when i click it doesn't start the call or any ask of what kind of sim use. So i have to copy/past the number to dialer or press "modify number before call" to call correctly. If can help someone to root the original rom that i found with already superuser (#) app installed but not workable. Infact the app that needed superuser seems to not find root. So when i install "TowelRoot v3.apk" and "SuperSU Pro v2.0.0.apk" superSu app say to me that i have to update binary with normal mode (because i haven't already cwm) but it never work because there is another app superuser and will try to remove it (never will remove it). It was a system app so i can't uninstall it . Then i root it with Vroot english version by pc with correct drivers installed and "debug mode" activated. After that i've installed cmw and then this lovable cm11 IV edition + GAPPS . What a perfect work ! Good job to all contributors !

Senapus Petit

Jan 6, 2015, 5:31:02 PM via Website

Ciao Francesco,

I would accept "the beer" but I'm not the one who made all this, in fact, more than one person did. The whole CyanogenMod team for example has to take credit.
lwang a.k.a. DotaGG on Baidu is the one who built CM for our device, syhost built the kernel, zhaochengw contibuted with some fixes... But managing to contact these people is a hard feat, chinese social networks are different from ours.

Raouf Melki

Sherif Zoheir

Jan 10, 2015, 11:47:47 AM via Website

Hello Senapus Peti

Many Thanks for all that effort

i made all the steps but i am facing now a problem that don't have any internet connection 3g
i tried to change to all the preferred network type but i didn't get the 3G sign

any help

Sherif Zoheir

Jan 20, 2015, 11:43:41 AM via Website

hello can any one here help me :(

SG98500678

Jan 31, 2015, 1:46:28 PM via Website

Ja D.

Hi Valence little,

Thanks for your answer.
Instead of making a movie, I hope the following screenshots will help.
1. The application is installed ("Caller locator" in this example
![image][1]

1. and 3. The application is moved from phone to sdcard (0? 1?) using the integrated application manager
    ![image][2]

![image][3]

1. The phone is rebooted

2. The application has to be installed once again
    ![image][4]

3. To be more precise, the last screenshot is the "About" sceen of my NX505J phone
    ![image][5]

Do I have to change a parameter so this won't happen again?

Thanks for help.

[1]: https://fscl01.fonpit.de/userfiles/6873483/image/IMG_01-1414661309804.jpg
[2]: https://fscl01.fonpit.de/userfiles/6873483/image/IMG_02-1414661400996.jpg
[3]: https://fscl01.fonpit.de/userfiles/6873483/image/IMG_03-1414662004449.jpg
[4]: https://fscl01.fonpit.de/userfiles/6873483/image/IMG_04-1414661985001.jpg
[5]: https://fscl01.fonpit.de/userfiles/6873483/image/IMG_05-1414662047903.jpg

so.. anybody manage to resolve this issue? i encountered the same issue of missing app after moving to SD card.

Gianfranco Pintus

Feb 2, 2015, 7:18:19 AM via Website

Does this new CM12 supports the micro SD loading??

Senapus Petit

Feb 15, 2015, 7:55:20 PM via Website

Hello everyone.

lwang has stopped releasing updates for CM11 and moved on to CM12.
The CM12 releases still have many issues and coupled with the semi-broken kernel we have available you will not experience anything better than the last CM11 ROM uploaded to my Skydrive.

However I'm looking for developers with experience to teach me and work with me on an unofficial AICP (Android Ice Cold Project) release. I'm not sure if I could handle an official release cycle because real life.
Please leave a comment here if you're interested.

cedric

Feb 18, 2015, 12:28:49 PM via Website

Of course Interested !

intrisaconlecotiche

Feb 25, 2015, 10:03:13 AM via Website

Hello, sorry for my english.
The heading of the room CM11 is not working properly when I start a call in the contact. Can you help me please ??
I hope someone can have understood.
Thank You

tor2016

Jun 12, 2018, 6:42:02 PM via Website

In the provided link to download all needed files one file is named Toweroot (not Towelroot)
and ONEDRIVE tells me a virus is detected.