Unknown Caller. Do you pick up or let it ring?

• Replies:40
Mary Mod
  • Forum posts: 432

Dec 3, 2013, 3:16:32 PM via Website

If someone calls me and they feel like they need to block their number.. I am sorry but I do not wanna talk to you :grin: Usually calls from that "unkown caller" are the most annoying ones.

How about you guys, do you pick up the phone or just let if ring?

— modified on Dec 6, 2013, 3:52:36 PM by moderator

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Dec 3, 2013, 3:24:44 PM via Website

I always block my number when I call Mary because I know she won't pick up and then I can say ''I called you but you didn't answer!''

But seriously, living in a foreign country and all, I don't have to worry about about blocked numbers calling me because hardly anyone has my number yet. In fact I didn't even know what my ringtone was until about two weeks into my current phone - I just never thought about it and then one day wondered who's phone was ringing and it was mine.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 131

Dec 4, 2013, 12:46:06 PM via App

I never accept unknown calls unless someone tells me before that they are going to call me from work, which usually has an unknown id.

HendrikJB

HowDoYouAndroid.com
  • Forum posts: 145

Dec 4, 2013, 8:34:19 PM via Website

I don't answer -- typically don't even answer non blocked numbers I don't recognize. Leave a message if you meant to call, is my thought.

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Sheri Hancroft
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 4, 2013, 11:11:26 PM via Website

i answer the phone then put it down so they get charged for making the call lol

My1
  • Forum posts: 673

Dec 8, 2013, 10:46:10 AM via App

I usually take the call, regardless of whether it's an unknown (not yet in conracts) or blocked number... I can hang up anytime...

— modified on Dec 8, 2013, 10:47:01 AM

MFG/Regards My1

Dorian Carr

Dec 9, 2013, 5:12:21 PM via App

Most times no I don't. Most people I speak to I have saved in my phone as a contact. If it's a new person, I'm thinking just because you feel you have something to say right now, doesn't also mean I have to hear it when it's convenient for you. .. Leave a message. ... I'll get back to you.

HendrikJB
  • Forum posts: 7

Dec 9, 2013, 7:26:01 PM via Website

I don`t pick up as I consider that to be an indication that the caller has something to hide.

Stacy Allen

Dec 10, 2013, 3:40:31 PM via App

Unless I know the number, I don't answer.

Henry B.
  • Forum posts: 17

Dec 10, 2013, 4:10:47 PM via Website

Never answer a blocked number, if its that important they can show their number or leave a message. Sometimes if you answer to a company, they see you as 'active' and will continue to call you for marketing and sell your number to other companies.

plck74
  • Forum posts: 50

Dec 11, 2013, 2:55:57 PM via App

i will answer the call and waste thier money. great idea?

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 25

Dec 12, 2013, 3:29:50 AM via Website

If I have time , I'll put up the phone ,chat with him about yesterday's TV show. Dare you call me again? annoy him to hell~~~~:lol::lol::lol:

AJ STA ANA
  • Forum posts: 54

Dec 24, 2013, 7:20:05 PM via App

pick up

Jill Zarra
  • Forum posts: 3

Jan 29, 2014, 12:57:18 PM via Website

i prefer to pick it up..so that i may know what is his/her intention is

Yannick T
  • Forum posts: 10

Feb 5, 2014, 4:08:30 PM via Website

Depends on the country I am in. If it is in the UK, the chance of it being somebody looking to sell you something is much greater than in Germany. So I definitely don't pick up in the UK.

SPDRMAMMA/\/\^_^/\/\

Feb 5, 2014, 9:37:09 PM via App

I just hit ignore.....not even interested in a msg if they block it...

Yannick T
  • Forum posts: 10

Feb 17, 2014, 7:12:09 PM via Website

SPDRMAMMA/\/\^_^/\/\
I just hit ignore.....not even interested in a msg if they block it...

Unfortunately, sometimes even clicking "Ignore" is giving these guys too much of your precious time ;)

SmileX
  • Forum posts: 20

Feb 28, 2014, 7:58:57 PM via Website

I usually pick up the phone because of my curiosity.

Marym Mahmoud
  • Forum posts: 105

Apr 5, 2014, 6:44:03 AM via Website

i don't pick up the phone even i know the caller :grin:

Android Geek Blogger Best Android Launcher

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Apr 7, 2014, 6:35:43 AM via Website

Recently I have installed an app that shows the name of the caller, it's work is just interesting what is does is it read all my contacts name and number and uploads it into its server i.e. their connecting is like growing way to fast...... :) well, if i am receiving a call from some unknown number it looks for that number in its database and if the number matches then corresponding name is displayed in the screen wether that contact name is present in your contact details or not... so in this way i know about the name of the caller and if it's from just ...... an unknown person whom I don't know I keep my phone ringing unless if i identifies the person I just pic up !! :grin:

My1
  • Forum posts: 673

Apr 8, 2014, 5:51:56 PM via App

Yannick T
Depends on the country I am in. If it is in the UK, the chance of it being somebody looking to sell you something is much greater than in Germany. So I definitely don't pick up in the UK.
But you can also end the call as soon as ya know that it's marketing business...
Could also be a friend who happened to have shut off number transmission for whatever reason

MFG/Regards My1

Sufficiently Advanced Apps
  • Forum posts: 27

Apr 8, 2014, 11:58:11 PM via Website

If it's important they'll leave a message. Let it go ("Let it go! Can't hold me back anymore!" Sorry.).

Winifer Skattebol

Mar 1, 2017, 8:09:24 PM via Website

I would pick it up. People are entitled to their privacy and those who block their numbers usually have unlisted phones (I stayed in one woman's apt who's a media personality). Often when I had a landline, I would get a message saying "If you want to talk to this recipient, you must unblock your number," which is fine. Aren't cell phones equipped with such a feature?

Shankar Prasad Nandi
  • Forum posts: 27

Mar 2, 2017, 5:23:46 PM via App

I usually answer the call, since not doing that increases anxiety. But the best thing to do is change your number if you are getting too many creepy calls.

Rothman
  • Forum posts: 20

Jun 27, 2017, 6:02:20 AM via Website

I only answer local calls even I don't recognize, but don't answer unknown calls from other areas. Fraud calls too much!(yawn)

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 30

Jul 3, 2017, 1:04:26 PM via Website

I do pick up when i am alone, most of the times i prefer a friend or someone from my family to pick and check. Most of the times they are wrong numbers.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Oct 14, 2017, 7:26:53 PM via Website

Sheri
Thats the worst thing you can do!
If the caller is a telemarketer, and you answer the phone..., well they know that they can get answer when they call your number. So they will call you back.
Best thing to do is let voicemail answer .
If they don't leave a message, thier probably a telemarketer or a scammer.

Robert James
  • Forum posts: 5

Oct 15, 2017, 11:45:57 AM via Website

hahhahahaha i just pick up the call, if number is ok, otherwise if there is short digits in number, then i avoid of that

Robert James

Oct 15, 2017, 11:46:42 AM via Website

what do you mean by when you are alone (silly)

Robert James

Oct 15, 2017, 11:49:07 AM via Website

Shankar Prasad Nandi

I usually answer the call, since not doing that increases anxiety. But the best thing to do is change your number if you are getting too many creepy calls.

i guess we should pick up the call, first verify who is that, because may be it's someone who really needs your help, or an emergency call, if the person is unknown and trying to joke with you then drop call and block his number.

Deactivated Account

Oct 15, 2017, 4:26:23 PM via Website

Wouldn't that upset your friends and family when they need to talk to you?

Deactivated Account

Oct 15, 2017, 4:30:06 PM via Website

I only answer when a name from my contacts list shows up on my screen!
Any other time i let voicemail do it's job!

Deactivated Account

Oct 15, 2017, 4:41:30 PM via Website

Sorry!
I disagree! If it is a telemarketer and you answer, they will keep calling you back!
And changing your phone number won't stop it! As far as the anxiety factor!
Look at it this way, if they don't leave a message! The call wasn't important in the first place.

Deactivated Account

Oct 15, 2017, 4:52:03 PM via Website

Did you hear about the latest scam.
People will call you with a recording device on! They will ask you all kinds of questions trying to get you to say the word YES , when you do they will use that recording to get approval to charge expensive merchandise on your credit card.
Like i said before , if it is a unknown caller let your voicemail pick up, if the call is important they will leave a message!

Deactivated Account

Oct 15, 2017, 5:05:48 PM via Website

Hey SmileX
You keep doing that and one of these days your curiosity could cost you a lot of money.
Telephone scammers are getting sneaker every day!

Amy Heimbach
  • Forum posts: 29

Oct 16, 2017, 4:11:25 AM via Website

I will let it ring. And now the phone has the function of tagging number. I will directly hang up the phone that shows to be harassment.

onteo

Sep 20, 2018, 5:23:17 PM via Website

Hey! You can use this number platform unknowndial.com/

F.Alam
  • Forum posts: 6

Sep 23, 2018, 8:13:09 AM via Website

Not really.

Albert65565
  • Forum posts: 23

Mar 6, 2020, 3:29:32 PM via Website

I don`t pick up as I consider that to be an indication that the caller has something to hide.