Wearable Android Device

• Replies:3
Karen Anfield
  • Forum posts: 3

Nov 18, 2013, 3:40:54 PM via Website

We are currently working on an application for a wearable Android device. We are currently testing with a Motorola Motoactv 8GB GPS Fitness Tracker and Smart MP3 Music Player. the reason we chose this device is the it is already a proven product in the market place and we DON'T WANT a smart Watch that also doubles up as a phone.

I have not had much luck trying to find any alternatives and the battery life is a concern on the Motorola. Does anyone have any suggestions for a device we could look at?

Many thanks for any suggestions

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Nov 18, 2013, 4:09:39 PM via Website

Hi @Karen, I'm surprised the Motorola battery is causing you problems - Moto usually have exceptional batteries. Can you tell us what kind of app your team are developing? it might make it easier to suggest devices for it, otherwise it's hard to recommend Glass-type devices or fitness bands or the like without knowing what your app is designed to actually do.

I know you said you weren't interested in a smartwatch but you might still want to take a look at the Omate Smartwatch, it's a stand alone watch that is causing a bit of a buzz and is looking better than many other offerings we've seen from Sony, Samsung, and other third-party manufacturers. It won't ship with Google Play access (due to screen resolution limitations) but Omate are are keen to have devs making apps for the wearable. Might still be worth a look?

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Karen Anfield

Nov 18, 2013, 4:28:20 PM via Website

Thanks Chris for your reply. I did take a look at the Omate, my concern with that one was that the screen size was smaller than the Morotola device. We are working on a commercial warehouse application so the the device will be used quite heavily in an normal 7.5 - 8 hour shift so battery life is very important. Also as the device is being used to give instructions to the operator on the screen, screen size is important too. The reason we have ruled out devices that double as a mobile or mobile interface is that the mobile element isn't required and will use up valuable resources on the device and reduce battery life. I have also looked at a new offering called Neptune Pine, this again has mobile phone enabled but the screen size 2.42 as opposed to the the 1.6" we are currently working with.

Karen Anfield

Nov 18, 2013, 4:52:18 PM via Website

Sadly I have just been doing a bit of research and it looks like the Motorola Activ is now discontinued accoding to Amazon.com