Classical music

• Replies:25
David D.
  • Forum posts: 77

Oct 26, 2013, 2:47:31 PM via App

Any classical music lovers here? Have good recommendations? Share them below. I'll share mine with you.

Amy R.
  • Forum posts: 238

Oct 26, 2013, 6:07:36 PM via App

I have a feeling of the kind of classical music you're interested in. Although I have had heavy exposure to all sorts of classical music in the past, I never possessed the ability to fully appreciate it. Most of the classical I grown to love is categorized as "experimental". Mostly was introduced to it by a partial score hidden in an old Sci-Fi or Horror film or from listening to a lot of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and the London Symphony Orchestra.

Some of my favorites:

Igor Stravinsky- Rite of Spring
Richard Wagner- Ride of the Valkyries
Gustav Hoist- The Planets

Even though Frank Zappa is an acquired taste, ever since I first started listening to him, I was hooked once I noticed little snippets of these other composers in his music. I take comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one who appreciates experimental classical music.

"You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here & So Am I" - FZ

David D.

Oct 27, 2013, 3:07:09 AM via App

Great! I forgot to mention, it's western classical music. Need any music recommendations?

Amy R.

Oct 27, 2013, 6:36:46 PM via App

David Dave
Great! I forgot to mention, it's western classical music. Need any music recommendations?

How about something from a composer I may not have ever heard of. I have listened to almost all the well known composers and musical scores but look for something different. So many existed through the times of Mozart, Bache, and Beethoven, even now, most of the smaller composers were over looked or completely washed over.
-Any Suggestions?

Quentin Ducreux L.
  • Forum posts: 1,813

Oct 28, 2013, 12:41:28 PM via Website

Recently got into piano stuff : Chopin, Franz Liszt, etc... Not really "new" but some pieces are somohow under-estimated or even forgotten... but really really good.

Lisa Cunning
  • Forum posts: 2

Oct 28, 2013, 12:54:51 PM via Website

I enjoy baroque music the most. Some favorite composers are Corelli, Telemann, Haydn, and Locatelli. Emusic and eclassical are good sources, also TuneIn radio if you don't want to buy.

HowDoYouAndroid.com
  • Forum posts: 145

Oct 28, 2013, 10:02:39 PM via Website

My favorites are primarily the ones that are most-typically recognized... I suppose the best became the most popular, in general. That's nice. Gives one some level of confidence in the musical taste of the human race. Sorta. We did somehow throw Keisha and Lil' Wayne and the likes up the pop charts. (If anyone recognizes my "every generation throws a hero up the pop charts" reference, I applaud you.)

Ok, back on topic. Favorite classical... Debussy's Claire de Lune, Chopin's Fantasie Impromtu and Raindrop Prelude and most everything he wrote, anything Handel, a lot of Haydn, Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique and Moonlight Sonata and Opus 94 (...or 2... or 7.... but I think it's 4) and everything else he wrote, Mozart's Sonata in A Major and everything else he wrote (but that's the one I sit down and play most often right now), Liszt' Hungarian Rhapsody (I almost said Bohemian; love that too ;)), a lot of Bach, LOVE Grieg's Morning Mood, a lot of Schubert is fun to play.... OH! speaking of fun to play! Ramchmaninoff's Bells of Moscow! (that was the first relatively difficult piece I learned), Tchaikovsky is fun too... but I can't remember which are my favorites... Ok, I think that'll about do it for now ;) I like this topic, David!

Eep!! I can't wait for Christmas season, so I can listen to the Messiah again. I do NOT listen to Christmas music outside the season... get too tired of it. Does anyone else get misty every time they see a Hallelujah chorus flashmob vid?

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Amy R.

Oct 28, 2013, 10:40:46 PM via App

@ HowDoYouAndroid.com-Hehe, glad you got that out of your system! I enjoy listening to Liszt too. I feel a little out of place here.......If this thread was about jazz I'd go on non stop :)

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Oct 28, 2013, 10:50:37 PM via Website

@Amy Lol... yeah.......... hope I didn't scare anyone there. ;)
Ok, you need to teach me about jazz! Wouldja? I don't appreciate it, and I would love to learn! Perhaps a new thread, though? Needn't spam up poor David's thread.... :)

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Amy R.

Oct 28, 2013, 11:44:29 PM via App

@ HowDoYouAndroid.com- Sorry about that......I can understand how playing would give you so much love for classical. I could never even get through completely playing chopsticks..........

Ok, back on topic- I can't begin to stress how much I love Holst's The Planets! It's especially wonderful to listen to on piano.

— modified on Oct 28, 2013, 11:47:00 PM

Amy R.

Oct 28, 2013, 11:44:40 PM via App

I forgot to list earlier, I also enjoy listening to Arnold Schoenberg. Most of his scores are only used in old black and white horror films but he also composed some really good pieces :)

Verklarte Nacht op.4 is my favorite to listen to

— modified on Oct 29, 2013, 12:35:15 AM

David D.

Oct 29, 2013, 1:20:02 AM via App

Great choices! All of them are my favourites.
Try
1. Bach's Brandenburg Concertos
2.Beethoven's 'Appassionata'
3.Beethoven's 'Waldstein'
4.Scott Joplin's Rags (all of them)
5.Mozart's Violin Concerto No.3

Amy R.

Oct 29, 2013, 2:13:01 AM via Website

David Dave
Great choices! All of them are my favourites.
Try
1. Bach's Brandenburg Concertos
2.Beethoven's 'Appassionata'
3.Beethoven's 'Waldstein'
4.Scott Joplin's Rags (all of them)
5.Mozart's Violin Concerto No.3

Dave I LOVE Mozart's Violin Concerto No.3 and I LOVE, LOVE Scott Joplin's work!!! I have ALL of Scott Joplin's music. I enjoy Richard Zimmerman's piano playing so much, when I discoved he also produced a complete archive of evethhing Joplin wrote, I bought it and have been listening to it for years! Learned to play Peachtree Rag when I was 10. I also get a kick out of Jelly Roll Morton's rendition of Maple Leaf Rag and The Entertainer too! <3

Oh Dear, I'm talking about jazz :P

I'll have to go check the Bach and Beethoven suggestions out :grin:

— modified on Oct 29, 2013, 2:18:52 AM

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Oct 29, 2013, 2:04:13 PM via Website

You know who else I love to listen to? Mumford & Sons! :-D
Figured if we're getting off-topic, I'd better help ;)
@Amy Thanks for the suggestions... I'll check them out latuh on!

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Amy R.

Oct 29, 2013, 3:40:46 PM via App

HowDoYouAndroid.com
You know who else I love to listen to? Mumford & Sons! :-D
Figured if we're getting off-topic, I'd better help ;)
@Amy Thanks for the suggestions... I'll check them out latuh on!

I have to check yours out too! If you want to try out something a lot of fun and different to play, try out some of Art Tatum's work!

Oops! Jazz not **Classical**........................ok I'll start a jazz thread soon :P

— modified on Oct 29, 2013, 3:43:13 PM

David D.

Oct 29, 2013, 4:09:39 PM via App

Jazz?

Amy R.

Oct 29, 2013, 4:42:12 PM via App

David Dave
Jazz?

Sorry David, from the moment you said Scott Joplin I went on a piano roller streak..........I love ragtime, vaudeville, and old parlor music and always have............can't help myself

— modified on Oct 29, 2013, 4:42:57 PM

David D.

Oct 30, 2013, 1:23:02 AM via App

Hey, that's OK. Jazz is allowed in this thread!

Amy R.

Oct 30, 2013, 3:09:16 AM via App

David Dave
Hey, that's OK. Jazz is allowed in this thread!

YEAH, I'm sooo happy!.........R U Ready??

Ok, besides being a HUGE Scott Joplin fan (wish I could have seen the actual Treemonisha opera he created but it never became a finalized thing and only the music remains of that). Love Jelly Roll Morton's "Kansas City Stomp", "I'm Alabama Bound", "Tiger Rag", all of his jazz band pieces (shoot, can't remember the name of his band off the top of my head)........scratch that..........EVERYTHING! Everything Art Tatum wrote Especially anything where he walks the piano keys, then plays with his arms crossed (always tried to play like that but could never quite get it right). ANY stride piano players (too many to think of). Ooh, Tom Waites and his "Nighthawks at the Diner" set ESPECIALLY "Big Joe and Phantom 309" and anything of his before 1975. I LOVE the Dave Brubeck Quartet ESPECIALLY "Take Five"(LOVE THAT ONE), "Blue Rondo A La Turk", "It's a Raggy Waltz", "Pick Up Sticks", "Cassandra" (crap, he has too many I like)........scratch that.........EVERYTHING! Thelonious Monk and his "Thelonious Alone in San Francisco" album and everthing else he did. The Jeff Lorber Fusion. Oh, duh! Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit", "Don't Explain", "Good Mornig Heartache", etc, etc, etc.

-My brain has come up to a blank......ok, this should be enough for now!

:O Oh No!!! I forgot to add Jack Radcliffe to the list!!!!!!!!!

-Ok, I'm done for now......... :P

— modified on Oct 30, 2013, 4:25:31 AM

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 30, 2013, 9:29:38 AM via Website

I'm waaay too intimidated to contribute meaningfully here, but I wanted to add an anecdote. I always thought I knew nothing about classical music until for some reason I bought an album called something along the lines of Chilled Classics or Utopia or something. Basically it was a bunch of classical music drawn from cinema themes songs which were, of course, all classical songs. I realized that cinema had actually exposed to me to dozens of great composers and it got me a lot more interested. So, horror films may have done it for Amy, but a cheap compilation cd and movie themes did it for me!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Oct 30, 2013, 2:12:12 PM via Website

@Kris -- I love that! I find classical music particularly... umm... stirring, in soundtracks where you wouldn't expect it. That's a totally legitimate way to appreciate classical music!

It's pretty ridiculous, but every time I hear Mozart performed, my heart starts pounding. :) He's just a different league. Went to a college choir concert last night, and a tenor led very well on a Mozart piece. Had a great evening :)

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Amy R.

Oct 30, 2013, 3:52:14 PM via App

@Kris- Yay, most of it was from old horror, Sci-Fi, and silent films. I really love this cheap cd I got years back where all the most well known classical pieces was all done on silk string guitar. I enjoy movie soundtracks a lot too!

— modified on Oct 30, 2013, 3:53:20 PM

Amy R.

Oct 30, 2013, 5:44:18 PM via App

Hehe, I was just thinking about how excited I am when I listen to the entire sound track for the Doctor Who David Tennant series..............

David D.

Oct 31, 2013, 1:25:46 PM via App

Beethoven's "Appassionata" anyone?

Amy R.

Oct 31, 2013, 5:23:14 PM via App

David Dave
Beethoven's "Appassionata" anyone?

I have not listened to it yet (or have I?). I bet you if I was to dig around all my classical compilations, I'll find one with Beethovens Appassionata on it (the name sounds intriguingly familiar). I will listen to it soon though :)

Amy R.

Oct 31, 2013, 5:23:19 PM via App

I will definitely listen to it soon :-D

— modified on Oct 31, 2013, 5:25:09 PM