What is your phone really used for?

• Replies:40
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 2, 2013, 9:11:01 AM via Website

I know we call them smartphones, but in all honesty I hardly ever make calls from my phone anymore (the same reason I no longer have a fixed landline). For me my phone is really just a portable internet device: instant messaging, social media + browser. It's also a navigation tool and game device. Oh and app launcher. But a phone? Not really. How about you? What is your phone's primary function? Camera? GPS? Music player? Photo Album?

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

GT Ohh

Dave Jarratt
  • Forum posts: 15

Oct 2, 2013, 2:47:26 PM via Website

Never have I spent such silly money,as on my Galaxy S3.(like 4 month's pension). I dont Game,Twitter,Facebook,Google + etc.I'm somewhat reclusive,so have no friends. The S3 was going to change my life.Yah,Yah- nothing changed,in fact it probably got worse as I am not the flavour of the month with my kids,so we hardly chat/sms etc.
Looking at it now, I charge the S3,read a bit of BBC news,check the weather,make the odd phone call and send the odd sms.
Lord how I miss my old Nokia that did sweet F/A,but cost buggerall. Being 70 and trying to be Hip2B2 at great expense is a sign of mental breakdown.
Here am I waiting for 4.3 or thinking I should Root and Flash a Rom or two. Total bloody madness.In my next life I refuse to get old cos in my case it really is a pile or crap and I feel a lot stupid!!

Amy R.
  • Forum posts: 238

Oct 2, 2013, 11:48:26 PM via Website

A really low tech/low grade LG. Cost me only a penny with my prepaid plan. Calls, text, photos, bluetooth, Serves my needs. I can't imagine how obsessed I'd be having all that other stuff in one device!

— modified on Oct 2, 2013, 11:50:56 PM

"You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here & So Am I" - FZ

Sofie Sunde
  • Forum posts: 2

Oct 3, 2013, 1:37:45 AM via App

My phone is primarily used for my calendar. I am between jobs and watch a lot of tv (sad, but true) and my whole schedule is in there. I also could not function in my daily life without Out of Milk and Evernote.

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Oct 4, 2013, 3:16:26 PM via Website

I actually use my phone for calling, hard to believe, I know!

My phone is a mix of calling family/friends, using my various messengers, most commonly WhatsApp, Facebook and usual text messaging. I also check our new AndroidPIT App to see if there are any new comments on articles or threads in the forum to be answered. I've started to play more games now, currently have Dumb Ways to Die, Terraria, Subway Surfer and Governor of Poker 2. I like to flip through Feedly on a daily basis too to keep up with the latest tech trends.

However, I would say I'm a boarderline obsessive user like that thing is glued to my hand. I'm in the need of a good old smartphone exorcism!

@Dave Jarrat, I don't think a phone will change lives by any means, if anything, it's another addicion to tack on to the many other ones that exist. Dave, I think you are way ahead of the game compared to other gents out there who don't even know how to use a computer mouse and refuse to use computers and even learn how!

Kris Carlon

Oct 4, 2013, 3:17:16 PM via Website

Calendar, that's seriously not even on my radar (or should I say: phone?)! I never use it, except to perhaps check the day of the week for a date in the future for booking holidays etc. But my work schedule is uber flexible so I don't need to keep track of meetings/appointments etc.

And Dave, the good news is you found your way to our forums, so we'll keep you company! My father took an iPad users class and now he's a ninja, he knows more about iPads than I do! I heartily applaud your plan to root and ROM, that'll open up a whole new world of possibilities to get your S3 doing exactly what you want. Welcome to the freedom of Android!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Stratos
  • Forum posts: 3

Nov 7, 2013, 12:23:16 PM via Website

Hi all,
I use my smartphone mainly for testing the android applications I develop.

HowDoYouAndroid.com
  • Forum posts: 145

Nov 7, 2013, 8:25:42 PM via Website

I do text/call quite a lot, but I use the camera and eBay app constantly. I also use Keep, Kindle, Bible, Pandora... pretty regularly.

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Nov 11, 2013, 5:56:54 PM via Website

Mary, guilty as charged, I do the same thing with FB and it's a sickness I tell you! Ok, it's not as bad as it once was....now there is so much to check: G+, Twitter, WhatsApp, Instagram, AHHHH!!!

Kris Carlon

Nov 11, 2013, 6:06:42 PM via Website

Bah! I'm seriously the Facebook Grinch - as I get more and more tired, bored, grumpy, disillusioned (and more of my friends keep posting baby/pet pictures) I drift further and further away from Facebook. I seriously only use it now for...email! I should probably just ditch the app and get messenger instead?

Amy R.
  • Forum posts: 238

Nov 12, 2013, 9:32:43 AM via Website

Kris Carlon
Bah! I'm seriously the Facebook Grinch - as I get more and more tired, bored, grumpy, disillusioned (and more of my friends keep posting baby/pet pictures) I drift further and further away from Facebook. I seriously only use it now for...email! I should probably just ditch the app and get messenger instead?

FaceWhat????? +Who????? I don't get involved with that stuff.........GO FOR THE MESSENGER INSTEAD KRIS!!!!! :vader:

— modified on Nov 12, 2013, 9:33:28 AM

"You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here & So Am I" - FZ

Kris Carlon

Nov 12, 2013, 9:37:38 AM via Website

Haha, the funny thing is I don't use the official FB anything. So I'd have to install yet another messenger that isn't FB (I don't have a FB messenger app, I just use a web page launcher - Fastbook Pro (which is admittedly very buggy and unreliable) to send msgs, but I also don't mind Atrium which is also a bit buggy). Can anyone recommend a good Facebook Messenger alternative that isn't Facebook?

Smart Tech
  • Forum posts: 17

Nov 14, 2013, 8:44:00 AM via Website

Hello,

I use my phone mostly for.....calling (strange ? but true) I dont use FB, Twitter, etc. Sometimes I text to my wife. Ah! Most important thing I use it for Battlenet authentification :) Sometimes for debugging my games also :) Primary function is my camera and this feature I really use.

— modified on Nov 14, 2013, 8:44:18 AM

simplewhimper

Nov 21, 2013, 2:10:39 PM via Website

I use my cellphone for text and call, but I also use the camera.

Jill Zarra

Marc Bolh
  • Forum posts: 14

Nov 24, 2013, 7:56:46 PM via Website

Mostly internet, then email, testing, photos, music and oh yeah, a few calls...

Adam Moore

Nov 25, 2013, 2:52:45 PM via Website

Interesting question...

I don't make many calls any-more a lot is per E-Mail, IM or Social Network.

My main uses:-
  • Internet
  • Looking things up (I.e. while in the supermarket)
  • Maps/GPS
  • Calendar
  • Transport timetables
  • Work and Personal Email PDA
  • Update and notifications about most social networks (FB, G+, Instagram etc etc)
  • Guitar Tuner
  • Portable music recorder
  • Camera for those parties!
  • Reading Music notation while learning song's
  • Some Games
  • As a media player with Spotify on the way to work
  • News reader via flip board on the train.
  • Oh and when at home my phone is a remote for Projector/Music System/LED Lights

I use more Smart than Phone these day's, in fact it's at the point where the calling function seem's useless, unless it's an emergency.

AJ STA ANA
  • Forum posts: 54

Dec 24, 2013, 7:22:02 PM via App

Mostly use my smartphone for some gaming and mostly music

Anders Bagger
  • Forum posts: 57

Dec 25, 2013, 9:37:00 PM via Website

Making phone calls.
Texting.
Taking pictures.
Music.
A few games.
Travelling plan (publich transportation).
And e-mail.

Kris Carlon

Jan 5, 2014, 11:38:31 PM via Website

Now that I have my Nexus 5 set up just how I like it (for now): CM 11, Apex Launcher, full screen widgets, I have to change some of my previous comments. I'd now add ROM switcher and backup manager, music player (I dropped a buck on Poweramp so now I'm actually making an effort to listen to music on my phone again), language learner and gaming device (because now I can play graphics heavy games and not just timewasters).

Andy N.
  • Forum posts: 22,375

Jan 6, 2014, 12:11:57 AM via Website

Hey Kris,

to be honest... my phone is only used for AndroidPIT and for testing one rom after the other...actually I don't know if it is able to make phone calls :grin:

— modified on Jan 6, 2014, 12:12:11 AM

Viele Grüße,
Andy

OnePlus 3 (Resurrection Remix 5.8.2)
LG G Watch

Regeln | unsere Mods & Admins

ParkingArcade

Veronica C.
  • Forum posts: 11

Jan 20, 2014, 11:30:20 AM via Website

Everything from checking mailboxes, to the air quality index for Beijing. Playing games, of course, or finding my way around the new city, taking pictures etc.
Ever since I started living in China I irreversibly became one of the mobile-tech-device-addicted commuters and use my smartphone for browsing Internet at times even more commonly than on laptop in a day.

— modified on Jan 20, 2014, 11:34:20 AM

Jill Zarra

Jan 29, 2014, 12:55:24 PM via Website

i use my phone primarily for messages and calls.then, for music and camera as well..since i want to be organized, i often uses the memo and alarm
:)

Michael D Stewart
  • Forum posts: 6

Mar 27, 2014, 9:05:08 PM via App

you hardly see anyone talking on a phone unless the idiot is driving a car and also why do some people talk so loud whilst taking a call?

Marym Mahmoud
  • Forum posts: 105

Apr 5, 2014, 6:00:59 AM via Website

Making phone calls.and Blogging

Android Geek Blogger Best Android Launcher

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 6

Apr 6, 2014, 1:44:59 AM via Website

If I'm not using it to make calls (which I seldom do) I would use it to waste time with a few mobile games. This isn't a smartphone btw, it's a Nokia C2-01.

— modified on Apr 6, 2014, 1:45:13 AM

Genelixis

Apr 6, 2014, 9:55:52 AM via Website

Playing games...Testing my games..Playing games ..Testing my games

What can i say , i love games :D

ParkingArcade

Sufficiently Advanced Apps
  • Forum posts: 27

Apr 8, 2014, 11:43:34 PM via Website

My handheld Reddit box can make calls.

Kris Carlon

Apr 9, 2014, 5:38:23 PM via Website

I saw an infographic on G+ recently that shows games make up the biggest use of smartphones these days. I don't know if I am surprised at all but it's interesting to think that rather than a browser or e-reader of sorts that smartphones have basically replaced PSP and Gameboys etc, considering that not that many people owned and used them all the time but everyone has a smartphone!

herry prothyer
  • Forum posts: 88

Aug 26, 2014, 8:55:12 AM via Website

I have a samsung galaxy s5, i generally used my phone for reading articles, magazines, newspapers, books etc, another is calling and messaging using viber, whatsapp, facebook etc. and when i am free i used to play games. :D

zx cv

Sep 3, 2014, 2:33:49 PM via Website

Phone
SMS
Camera
Internet
E-mails
Sometimes games
Testing my apps

ParkingArcade
  • Forum posts: 32

Sep 22, 2014, 5:47:49 PM via Website

Browser
Gaming
Phone
SMS
Music
Camera

Geolinlee

Sep 24, 2014, 12:37:24 PM via Website

U have started a hot topic.

I use my phone mainly for chitchatting, selfie, GPS, brower, Music player, playing games to kill time, etc. It seems quite similar with most of the rests.

Angelica Parham

Sep 24, 2014, 12:46:53 PM via Website

Before I got a smartphone, my phone was used primarily for SMS-ing to and fro (and hardly any calls). And now that I have a smartphone, it is used primarily for Whats-apping (and sill hardly any calls) :D

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Sep 24, 2014, 7:24:42 PM via Website

I'd like to say showing off to iPhone users, but... In reality it's mainly calls/texts, news, music, and forums with a little gaming on the side. That's if you don't count the number of root apps; the majority of apps on the phone seem to be root related.

Sinkster

HAK Solutions
  • Forum posts: 4

Sep 25, 2014, 5:08:42 AM via Website

I only use my phone for Emails. Just emails only nothing less nothing more!!!

Geolinlee

Sep 26, 2014, 12:18:21 PM via Website

So till now, Selfie appears for the very first time among so many replies? :P

HAK Solutions

UR launcher
  • Forum posts: 4

Oct 20, 2014, 11:32:53 AM via Website

Have to say, use mostly for social media and camera. Also Google Maps when I'm a bit lost...

Academ_Media
  • Forum posts: 12

Dec 4, 2014, 7:54:04 AM via Website

I always considered myself to be more of a texting person, but surprisingly, I mostly stick to calling these days. Gaming is another big one! Prefer MP3 for all music needs&purposes and hardly ever use my camera.