Android 4.4 KitKat Speculations

• Replies:32
  • Closed
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Sep 4, 2013, 11:58:50 AM via Website

Google has announced the next iteration of the Android OS - 4.4 KitKat. While everyone has been calling it Key Lime Pie forever, and expecting it to be Android 5.0, Google released a video of the new designation yesterday, also perhaps unveiling the LG-made Nexus 5 in the process. Those forum threads are here and here.

— modified on Nov 1, 2013, 3:16:27 PM by moderator

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

HowDoYouAndroid.com
  • Forum posts: 145

Sep 4, 2013, 6:16:42 PM via Website

I love it! We were so wrong about key lime pie :) I've been craving a kit-kat all morning, thanks to the announcement. What's the pic?

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Chris Rosa
  • Forum posts: 4

Sep 7, 2013, 8:36:40 AM via Website

Many people thought it was a joke. None of the operating systems needed to worry about copyright infringement as the past OS` were generic desert names. Anyway I'm all about new things, so bring it on.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 5

Sep 8, 2013, 7:03:25 PM via Website

Given the popularity of Android it's a wise move on the part of Nestle to allow use of the trademarked name, it was already very popular, now it will be the most popular candy bar in the world! Free advertising from the biggest advertising agency in the world..

g-telware
  • Forum posts: 48

Sep 9, 2013, 10:20:48 AM via Website

Interseting information about 4.4 Kitkat and Nexus 5.

Kris Carlon

Sep 9, 2013, 10:35:06 AM via Website

So the big question is: what exactly will KitKat play host to? If it's not going to be the major new overhaul that we all expected of Key Lime Pie (5.0), and it looks like it won't be because this update is still within the 4th iteration of the OS. So if 4.3 wasn't much of an improvement, other than to security, performance etc, then what will we most likely see from 4.4? I think the start of the fragmentation issue will begin being addressed, with 4.4 to roll out to as many devices as possible in anticipation of 5.0. I'd also expect a lot more voice activation/gesture control features in anticipation of the rise of wearable technology. But the fact there will be a 4.4 makes me think the changes will remain relatively minor and it won't be until 5.0 that our socks are blown off.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Farid Asmal
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 11, 2013, 6:13:08 AM via App

question .. when will Android 4.3 be released OTA for the Galaxy S3 ?

Stephen Allan
  • Forum posts: 6

Sep 11, 2013, 10:20:31 AM via App

hi farid, I heard sometime in October for the s3 and s4

dinsyamsuddin
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 11, 2013, 12:31:25 PM via App

note 2??

Kris Carlon

Sep 12, 2013, 10:21:04 AM via Website

Correct, Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 will get the update OTA in October, but when exactly we don't yet know. The HTC One will get it September, ad we saw a few HTC One models at the IFA event last week that were already running the update. As for 4.4 there's no word on when that will be released, or even announced, but I would expect the Nexus 5 to appear in the next couple of months and be running 4.4 out of the box or via OTA very soon after release. As for the Note 2 on 4.3, the announcement has been made and it should happen not long after the S3 and S4 updates in October if not right alongside them.

Kris Carlon

Sep 20, 2013, 3:40:07 PM via Website

Ok, chocolate fans. Android 4.4 KitKat has been 'confirmed' to release in October by the German Nestle KitKat team on their Facebook page. We already kind of knew this, but it's nice to have further confirmation from the inside. Now we just have to wait for Google to actually officially announce the next iteration of the world's most popular mobile operating system.

— modified on Sep 20, 2013, 3:40:48 PM

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Sep 23, 2013, 3:52:00 PM via Website

Think the Nexus 4 will get it?

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Kris Carlon

Sep 23, 2013, 5:56:09 PM via Website

Haha, yeah for sure! It had better! I think there'd be rioting in the streets if the Nexus 4 was left behind. It would, however, be a good way to push sales of the Nexus 5...at least to start with. But I can't imagine Google would leave the Nexus 4 out of the update goodness. At least not till Android 5.0 next year anyway.

Marcel Jennings
  • Forum posts: 56

Sep 24, 2013, 11:48:29 AM via Website

When will 5.0 come out?

Kris Carlon

Sep 24, 2013, 11:57:39 AM via Website

I'm not sure about a release for Android 5.0, considering everyone thought what ended up being 4.4 would actually be 5.0! But at this stage, and with the rapid release of minor changes to Jelly Bean (which makes it seem like Google are keen to keep JB going for a while yet), I would say the next major iteration of the OS would ''most likely'' appear at Google I/O next year (that's in May), but this is just as much of a guess as what it will be called.

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Sep 25, 2013, 1:12:48 PM via Website

Yeah, that's what I was wondering... if they would delay, in order to try to make us buy the Nexus 5. Glad you don't think that's likely to be a big part of the plan!

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Kevin Koberstädt
  • Forum posts: 3

Sep 26, 2013, 8:26:57 PM via Website

comes the update for HTC devices?

Kris Carlon

Sep 26, 2013, 9:11:13 PM via App

Hey Kevin, no idea at all for 4.4 but the 4.3 update for the One is happening right now internationally. HTC is pretty good with updating so if this current update (2 months) is anything to go by it'll be a Christmas-time/early January-ish 4.4 update. Vague enough for you? ;)

Kevin Koberstädt

Sep 27, 2013, 9:11:12 PM via Website

ok Kris, thanks for the information :)

Deactivated Account

Oct 10, 2013, 1:06:55 AM via Website

Hi, Will this Update for Samsung Galaxy S4 be done automatically by manufacturer or do we owners have an option...I'm a happily 72 'retired'.

Eddy Fosman
  • Forum posts: 14

Oct 10, 2013, 6:44:54 AM via Website

So sweet! Can't wait for this -_-

Kris Carlon

Oct 10, 2013, 11:41:18 AM via Website

@DJ, unfortunately it's up to the manufacturers of Android devices to decide where they decide to cut the cord in terms of OS updates. Of course their focus is on the newer, expensive models, and everything else comes after. Sadly it doesn't take all that long to drop off the list. But Android 4.4 / 5.0 are designed to bridge the fragmentation issue all the way back to 2.0 devices or thereabouts, so one or both will appear on most older devices eventually, it's just hard to say when or to what devices exactly.

@Alec, you always have the option on an Android! The 4.4 firmware for the S4 will probably be one of the first to be leaked, so if you are comfortable rooting your phone and installing the firmware manually that is absolutely an option. When the inevitable happens we will publish a tutorial on how to do it. Otherwise you can wait for Samsung to release the update over the air, and the S4 will get it sooner than most, but Samsung are not so great at releasing quick updates for their devices, so you may have to wait quite some time, considering Nexus devices will have 4.4 as soon as it comes out and the S4 most likely won't even be on 4.3 by then.

— modified on Oct 10, 2013, 11:41:32 AM

Deactivated Account

Limejuiz

Oct 16, 2013, 11:17:07 PM via Website

There is a news on Engadget about an HangOut that support SMS.
Do you think it is part of KitKat new features ?
Could be a good way for Google to put HangOut and G+ at the middle of our communication !

Do you think you will activate this functionality if it pop up on KitKat ?

Kris Carlon

Oct 17, 2013, 9:48:27 AM via Website

Hey @Limejuiz, I'd almost definitely say that Hangouts will replace the default SMS app in Android 4.4 and that it will include SMS functionality. This also fits in with KitKat giving you the choice to set your default SMS client, so if you're not a fan of Hangouts you can simply opt for another client, but otherwise it will indeed push G+ and Hangouts to the forefront, which makes perfect sense considering Android is a Google product and they can set it up any way they want, so why not push Google products even further as standards.

— modified on Oct 17, 2013, 2:05:35 PM

g-telware
  • Forum posts: 48

Oct 17, 2013, 11:25:50 AM via Website

It is very exciting news for android lovers.

Limejuiz

Oct 17, 2013, 12:52:21 PM via Website

I have heard of this new functionality to choose your default SMS client, but I don't get it as it is alrrady the case when I install ProSMS for exemple...

Kris Carlon

Oct 17, 2013, 2:07:07 PM via Website

I know what you mean. I can only assume the function will be more integrated or easily accessible, for example. Perhaps there will be multiple options pre-loaded - like Hangouts, the Android messenger or something?

Eddy Fosman
  • Forum posts: 14

Oct 18, 2013, 8:44:23 AM via Website

Sound great! I can't wait for this.

Kris Carlon

Oct 18, 2013, 11:06:17 AM via Website

If you haven't already seen it, check out my article about the Android 4.4 facts we know so far, and on the funnier side, some of the whacky predictions for launch date. Also, if you haven't seen it yet,the Nexus 5 popped up on the Play Store momentarily and Android 4.4 is viewable on the screen.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 72

Oct 21, 2013, 1:19:36 PM via Website

It would be :girl::girl:better if i get ANDROID :V:V:V kitkat for eating rather :*):*)than installing !!:bashful::bashful: