New Bell Canada Update, No More Wifi Connection

• Replies:31
Claudia D.s
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 8, 2012, 12:56:06 AM via Website

So my family (father, brother, and I), have had the Motoluxe since June. No big problems with it until yesterday when my dad received a message saying that a new update was available. He decided to download it, which he did via our home wifi connection seeing as none of us have data plans. I did the same.
After the update was installed, we both noticed that our Wifi was no longer working. The phone said that it was, in fact, connected to our Wifi network, but the connection bars on the top of the screen were empty, and none of our applications involving internet access worked. We tried calling Motorola, they didn't know anything and only suggested that we reboot the router (which was definitely not the problem because both of our computers we working fine on the network).
We then called Bell Canada, who also didn't have a solution and didn't seem to know what was going on. The representative we spoke to was very helpful and suggested we restore the factory settings to the phone. We did, losing everything we hadn't backed up in the process. But this seemed to work as we were able to access our wifi connection again.
My father then shut off his phone to charge it (I don't usually have the habit of shutting mine off at all, but he does). This morning, when he went to turn the phone on, the problem had returned. I tried restarting mine, same deal.
After a bit of research, it seems like most people who have downloaded this update haven't been able to connect to their wifi. How are we supposed to fix this problem, if not even Bell knows the solution to it??
Is there any way that we can remove the update from the system without having to send the phones in for repairs? Or is there any way to get the wifi working again without restoring the phones everytime we turn them off?

Aras BukauskasFreya K

Nick Woodiwiss
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 7:17:26 PM via Website

I'm in Victoria BC with Virgin Mobility (who run on the bell network) and had the exact same problem after my system download on Nov. 8th. The problem build number is: 1_74D_1022 My wife has the exact same phone, running on the old version (1_62D_1022) and she is working fine. If I enable "Data", I can then get e-mail and web connections, but not something I want to do as I run on my wi-fi and home. I have yet to wrestle with the various support people...

Akhil Kodamanchili

Nov 10, 2012, 2:08:36 AM via Website

same deal...very disappointed! how to download a fix now without wifi nor a data plan! terrible!

Deactivated Account

Nov 10, 2012, 6:42:44 AM via Website

I have the same problem...please let me know if any one finds the solution to this problem. I got a message to update the software, which I did and then the problem started. Thanks!

mariane bryant

Nov 12, 2012, 5:13:03 AM via Website

i figured it out !!!!!! i had the same problem today , i called motorolla and got no help . so i went into settings on my phone , clicked on privacy , then factory data reset , then choose reset phone and now it works perfect ! you just need to resign in with your google account and set up the wifi again ( just like the 1st day you got the phone ) NO MORE PROBLEMS !!!!!!

Jodi Bennett
  • Forum posts: 5

Nov 12, 2012, 3:08:41 PM via Website

I've encountered the IDENTICAL issue. Downloaded the same update last week and phone says it's connected but when I go to open a page, it says No Internet Connection. Only started after the Update I downloaded. went into Bell and they spent 15 minutes in the back room doing something I could never replicate, and it was working....I then Powered it Down later that night, fired it up in the morning and No more Wifi...same issue. I went right back into Bell, they put me through to their Service ept. they claim no issues and put me through to Motorola. Motorola said I'd have to Hard Boot the phone, loosing everything not saves to Sim card and so.....thats what they did. I spent 2 days putting everything back to rights in my phone and last night I powered it down....(after they told me I didn't need to power it down to charge it, but I find it gets and holds a better charge if done when not on) and this morning...............NO WIFI....again. I'm heading back in this morning and I'm not happy...only had the phone 2 months. If you discover what the issue is, I'd be pleased to know ;)

Jodi Bennett

Nov 12, 2012, 3:13:50 PM via Website

doesn't work, unfortunately...The Phone Store Hard Booted mine back to Factory settinf and it returned this morning. Powered the phone down and now it won't connect.

Jodi Bennett

Nov 12, 2012, 6:57:08 PM via Website

Furious! I just went into Bell again, and the ((rude)) girl, told me it had to be sent away to Motorola because they've already trouble shot it in store. So....they sent my phone away, charged me $40.00 to do it, and wanted to charge me $25.00 for a basic loaner FLIP phone for the 2 weeks min. that it'll be gone. My brand new phone!!! It's their Software issue...or Motorolas and I'm the one completely put out. she said that even though the other guy ((much friendlier)) Hard Booted it back to factory...that Software update would remain on the phone....so Motorola has to remove the software and re-install the original software the phone came with. Unreal. Good luck ladies and gents....hope you at least get more friendly customer service than I did...LoL ps...I printed off this page of 'same' issues since the update and took it right in with me, telling them that this is the issue and I'm not the only one with it. GOOD LUCK!!

Jesse Snider
  • Forum posts: 3

Nov 13, 2012, 4:08:38 AM via Website

I am having the same issue with my Luxe. I hope they come out with a fix soon. Just updated today (November 12, 2012)

Aras Bukauskas

Nov 13, 2012, 4:20:06 AM via Website

Same problem here. Connected via wifi with an IP but no internet, All happened after OS update.

Mitchell Langlois

Nov 14, 2012, 1:37:09 PM via Website

If you factory data reset do not turn your phone off, or the problem will occur agian.

Jodi Bennett

Nov 15, 2012, 2:09:58 AM via Website

Mitchell Langlois
If you factory data reset do not turn your phone off, or the problem will occur agian.

No offence, but we should be able to shut our phones off once in a while. This is an issue caused by their Software...an issue that didn't exist before the download.

Tolululu

Nov 15, 2012, 2:17:09 PM via Website

I had the same problem! Found this solution on another website and it worked for me. I don't know if it still works when you turn off your phone:

"I have wifi again!!! I don’t have a data plan, but I turned on data just for a second anyway to see if that would fix things (figured it was worth risking the few dollars… Settings > Wireless & network settings > Mobile networks > Data enabled checkbox).
I checked for system updates (even though it said no update available), and then went back and connected to my wifi network. When I shut off the data connection, it immediately connected to wifi. Hopefully my bill doesn’t get hit too hard by the 1 minute of data use."

Hope thats helpful!

Claudia D.s

Nov 16, 2012, 5:58:00 PM via Website

Tried this! It works great, got my wifi working, but the problem just came back once I turned off the phone. Like I said, I don't have a huge habit of turning off the phone, but it starts to act up every once in a while and needs to be restarted. I don't plan on wasting money every time I restart it just to get wifi, which I'm getting for free. I purposely bought this phone without a data plan because I wasn't planning on using my data but now Motorola/Bell are basically telling us "too bad, you've got to use the data either way." Well excuse me, but that's not what I bought the phone for.
And, after another few hours on the phone with Bell, I've come to learn that this is "Motorola's problem" and that they're looking for a fix. I'll bet if we were to call Motorola they'd tell us its Bell's problem and that Bell is looking for a fix. Either way, I have a feeling it isn't going to be resolved anytime soon ... which is slightly infuriating.

Kim K.

Nov 17, 2012, 2:56:39 AM via Website

I have the problem also. Motorola is looking into it.
download motorola software updater on your computer
connect phone to computer using usb cable
run updater
this way if the is a update you can install it.

— modified on Nov 17, 2012, 2:58:58 AM

Deactivated Account

Nov 17, 2012, 4:05:09 PM via Website

Same issue here. How a company like Motorola/Google can release a patch without testing it first. I bought this phone because Google bought Motorola and I'm a big fan of all Google product, I wish things will get better in the future.

Adam B

Nov 17, 2012, 5:06:09 PM via Website

Hello Fellow Motoluxe's,

i had the same problem,
really annoying, and i question ever doing another update!
i think this update was designed to force people to turn on data and therefore,
people dont turn it off, and the phone companies make more $

fortunately the solution is easy,
everytime you turn your phone on, restart etc:

turn off wifi,
turn on data,
wait up to a minute,
turn off data,
turn back on wifi,
everythings works like the good old days :)

BTW to avoid going into settings every time, put a on/off button on your home page
push settings, Add, motorola widgets, and choose data toggle and then repeat and choose wifi toggle

hope this help, and just like me, next time i wont buy motorola!

Jesse Snider

Jesse Snider

Nov 17, 2012, 7:05:15 PM via Website

This fix worked for me. I hope Bell will fix this problem soon though. Kind of annoying.

kayjack

Nov 20, 2012, 12:54:48 AM via Website

Adam B
Hello Fellow Motoluxe's,

i had the same problem,
really annoying, and i question ever doing another update!
i think this update was designed to force people to turn on data and therefore,
people dont turn it off, and the phone companies make more $

fortunately the solution is easy,
everytime you turn your phone on, restart etc:

turn off wifi,
turn on data,
wait up to a minute,
turn off data,
turn back on wifi,
everythings works like the good old days :)

BTW to avoid going into settings every time, put a on/off button on your home page
push settings, Add, motorola widgets, and choose data toggle and then repeat and choose wifi toggle

hope this help, and just like me, next time i wont buy motorola!

Thank you, this works (as long as you don't power off the phone) and is a good, albeit temporary, workaround.
Hopefully Motorola fixes this soon.
I'm on the Virgin network and I believe they should offer affected customers free data until this problem is fixed.

torque hello

Jesse Snider

Nov 20, 2012, 4:56:28 AM via Website

I too am on the Virgin network, and I agree.

Jodi Bennett

Nov 20, 2012, 5:38:35 PM via Website

Okay...here's the latest.
As I stated before....my phone was sent away for "repair" due to this Software issue. I just recieved my phone back today and they went through everything at the Phone store and when I brought it home....NOT REPAIRED. The exact issue remains. So back into the phone store and then, now on the phone with Motorola themselves again and here's the scoop: They are aware that there is a problem with that Software we all downloaded, and are currently in the process of finding a fix for this problem. They took all our information and will contact us when the fix comes through. In the meantime they recommend not shutting the phone down. The above mentioned technique works, so either use that everytime you power down your phones or use it to obtain the 'proper' WiFi connection and then just leave the phone on. Either way, I suggest calling Motorola and loggin the issue with them. Here's the # we called 1-800-461-4575
Good Luck.

Tania Thompson

Nov 26, 2012, 12:14:05 AM via Website

I have this problem too! I called my bell people and they said it wasn't there problem but motoerolas and that they were aware of this issue since Nov 4 - They said a patch was coming?! It's now Nov 25 and it still isn't working - Next week I'm demanding a new phone - enough is enough -

torque hello

Don

Dec 1, 2012, 9:01:43 PM via Website

I have had the same problem with my motoluxe. After sending the phone for repair twice with the problem still there I called motorola and demanded some answers. This problem has been an issue for a month which I expkained to several reps during the course of this ordeal. I was assured that a fix is coming soon. For those of you who don't know going into your settings and tapping the data enable twice (once on and once off) will allow this to work. If you are worried about data charges just make sure all tour settings such as checking for e-mails and updates and syncs such as facebook are set to manual. By doing this you ensure that nothing is going to use your data if you have not a data plan. I informed Motorola that it is outrageous for them to expect the users of their products to have to put up with the inconvenience of this as long as they have and that I would give serious consideration before purchasing their equipment again.

I hope this helps some people....BTW....their response was please be patient a little longer as the new update should be soon.

Good Day

Don

Dec 1, 2012, 9:08:08 PM via Website

Good luck getting a new phone and let me know how you make out. I have already had that argument with them..they said if they issue a new phone it will be same model only which to me is redundant because you will continue to have same issue. I demanded a different model and they suggested I go to the Bell store and see if they would give me one as a courtesy. (Pure bullshit if you ask me). Please do let me know how you make out because if you have any luck then I will try again myself.

D

torque hello

Dec 3, 2012, 2:09:07 AM via Website

I'm with virgin. I have the same problem. I am totally outgraged. How can a company like Motorola release and update without properly testing it starting from the basics like "is wifi working...". Unbelievable. May be it is the right time to file an official complaint through provincial government of best business berue?

Robert Dupuis

Dec 14, 2012, 1:05:37 AM via Website

I tried your solution and it worked every time.
Here's what I did:
Remove the battery to simulate a discharged batt.
Re-install the batt and turn unit on.
No WIFI access.
Go to «settings/Wireless & networks/ and disconnect from your WIFI.»
Go to «Setting/Wireless & networks/Mobile networks and check "Data Enable and Data roaming"
Reconnect to yout WiFi. After a few seconds, the WiFi indicator a the top of the screen will turn blue which means your have access to your WiFi.
Go to «Settings/Wireless & networks/Mobile networks and uncheck "Data Enable and Data Roaming".
The WiFi indicator at the top of the screen will remain blue.
You now have full access to your WiFi network.
FIY: before enabling Data and roaming, try to find a place where you don't have cellular signal. Your basement is a good place to start with. This way the company won't charge you 5.00$ for enabling data via cell for a few seconds like Virgin Mobile Canada does.
Tomorrow morning I'm going to brief the bozos at the Wave Wireless booth at my shopping center. Followinf their advice I had to hard reset the unit and spend a few hours «reloading» my phone or sending the phone to Virgin Mobile and losing it for a month while paying for the month service.

— modified on Dec 14, 2012, 1:20:16 AM

Deactivated Account

Jan 7, 2013, 4:47:21 AM via Website

Still no fix from Motorola?
I know they're working on it because I opened a call with them and they said they are working on a fix, they also ask me to install LogCat application and send them the log after trying to connect to WIFI which is what I've done. But this is 1 month ago.

Jane Scott

Jan 14, 2013, 4:02:22 AM via Website

POSSIBLE SOLUTION TO MOTOLUXE WI-FI PROBLEM

I was trying to transfer an OSM map file to our Motoluxe by connecting to our computer via USB. After repeated failures to write the file, I swapped out the SD card for a different, formatted one. Since then, the phone has been reliably and automatically connecting to available wi-fi.

Could it be a file was stored or backed up on the SD card causing the problem?

Can anyone else confirm that this works for them?

Sue

Jan 18, 2013, 8:48:01 PM via Website

I have the same problem and I called Motorola January 2013. They said they don't have a firm date yet on a fix but they are hoping sometime in March. Their support department said that I could send them the phone to have their technicians look at it but I pointed out that this wouldn't help since Motorola themselves don't have a solution presently and I'd just end up losing the use of my phone. I'm waiting for a call from their Canada Wide support to see if they can give me another model phone.

Deactivated Account

Jan 30, 2013, 9:45:29 PM via Website

The Problem is solved, I got the new build update last night 1_74F_1022 I now have WIFI without having to play with the "Data Enabled" option.

Chol Faust

Feb 8, 2013, 2:34:32 AM via Website

I have a Motorola XT615 and I had the same problem: here's the problem

The update messed up the boot sector. The boot sector is the program in practically all devices that turns on all the required parts of that device: Speakers, Microphone, in this case the update messed up the boot-up of the WiFi. Even though it's on, it's not completely on. Solution? When you get a phone; do not update unless the version you have has a glitch that you know about. Sorry but It's practically impossible to fix it completely. I learned the hard way as many others did too. I hope others see what I wrote and use it for future reference.

Andrew Choi

Mar 16, 2013, 3:59:07 AM via Website

ya, but it erases what u had on ur phone