What is Android?

• Replies:3
Borja Jaramillo
  • Forum posts: 25

Nov 23, 2011, 12:23:33 PM via Website

Hi!

I'm new to the whole smartphone and Android thing and I know this probably sounds like a dumb question but what is Android? At first I thought Android's were phones like iPhones or something like tht but then I got this HTC Sensation (best phone ever... love the sound quality) and they told me at the store that it's an Android phone but it's not called Android... I'm really sorry to post this question here but what does Android even mean? Is it like Mac and PC? Or something else? I just want to know what I got myself into! Thanks!

Lilly Righteous
  • Forum posts: 14

Nov 23, 2011, 12:30:35 PM via Website

Android is an operating system like Windows or the Mac operating system! If you want to find out what Android is read the articles here. The operating systems all have strange sounding names like Ice Cream Sandwich ( I linked to an artilce about it) or Donut or Froyo but it's all the same thing. Basicly think of it like PC's there are lots of people making the hardware but the operating system all comes from one group (Google) so yeah... that's basicly what Android is! Just some of the Best Smartphones in the world!

zubair
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 23, 2011, 6:20:44 PM via Website

Android, the world's most popular mobile platform
Android powers millions of phones, tablets, and other devices and brings the power of Google and the web into your hands.

With an amazingly fast browser, cloud sync, multi-tasking, easy ways to connect & share and the latest Google apps (and thousands of other apps available on Android Market) your Android powered device is beyond smart.

— modified on Nov 24, 2011, 12:29:44 PM by moderator

Calvin Weiss
  • Forum posts: 7

Dec 1, 2011, 11:00:50 AM via Website

Android is an operating system for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers. It is developed by the Open Handset Alliance led by Google.