Rooting Questions and Answers!

• Replies:42
  • Stickied
Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Sep 22, 2011, 4:19:29 PM via Website

What exactly is rooting?

Rooting your Android involves adding a small Linux application called "su." It stands for SuperUser, and allows applications and commands to run. The root user is the boss and can do anything on the device with "su" in place, including simple things like clearing the cache and also more complicated things like tethering a PC or an iPod touch.

Why would I want to do it?

Certain things you can only do with a rooted phone, like installing the software from other phones (think Sense or TouchWiz). Additionally, some apps like Titanium Backup only work on rooted devices and can help you backup all of your data before you switch phones. Rooted devices can also run other apps like Ad Free, which gets rid of all advertising on any app in your phone and Shoot Me, which allows you to take a screenshot of anything.

Is it dangerous? Will it void my warranty? What if I end up ruining my phone?

Rooting can be dangerous, depending on the device, it always voids your warranty and it can end up breaking your phone. By messing with your phone's internal DNA, you could end up fiddling with the wrong thing and brick your phone. Usually, you can still recover it, but not always. All major carriers and manufacturers state that altering or using un-approved software voids the warranty, so proceed with caution.

You've also got to be careful about the kinds of apps you install on your rooted phone. Read all the reviews and pay special attention to what kinds of permissions the app asks for.

Can I still receive over-the-air updates from my carrier?

Maybe. Most updates are designed to work with original software, so they need to check to make sure your software is just as they left it. If you decide to un-root your phone, usually you can update it again.

Can I un-root my phone?

It depends. Some phones are insanely easy to revert back and some are really difficult. This is the most important thing to research before you begin your rooting expedition.

In conclusion, so long as you do your research, rooting can give you an extra level of control over your Android phone. If you decide to root, consider the advice we've laid out here. The risks are real, but so are the rewards!

— modified on Sep 23, 2011, 4:27:41 PM

EvanJohn B.Deactivated Account

carmine92207
  • Forum posts: 7

Oct 4, 2011, 6:32:41 AM via Website

hello i need help please i have samsung exhibit and i thought my phone was rooted so i used odin3 and had my phone in download mode and ran the new gallaxy firmware and now my phone wont do anything but if i turn it on its white screen and i can still get it in download mode. can anyone help please thanks

Steven Blum

Oct 4, 2011, 10:06:12 AM via Website

Hi Carmine,

Unfortunately, there is virtually no information online about rooting your Exhibit or saving a bricked Exhibit. This is what's so frustrating about this phone. I wish I could help. :(

carmine92207
  • Forum posts: 7

Oct 4, 2011, 2:27:33 PM via Website

hello so u think its bricked i thought ehen its bricked nothing at all happens thanks is there nothing i can try

ram choudhary
  • Forum posts: 2

Feb 15, 2012, 6:10:21 AM via Website

Steven Blum
What exactly is rooting?

Rooting your Android involves adding a small Linux application called "su." It stands for SuperUser, and allows applications and commands to run. The root user is the boss and can do anything on the device with "su" in place, including simple things like clearing the cache and also more complicated things like tethering a PC or an iPod touch.

Certain things you can only do with a rooted phone, like installing the software from other phones (think Sense or TouchWiz). Additionally, some apps like Titanium Backup only work on rooted devices and can help you backup all of your data before you switch phones. Rooted devices can also run other apps like Ad Free, which gets rid of all advertising on any app in your phone and Shoot Me, which allows you to take a screenshot of anything.

Rooting can be dangerous, depending on the device, it always voids your warranty and it can end up breaking your phone. By messing with your phone's internal DNA, you could end up fiddling with the wrong thing and brick your phone. Usually, you can still recover it, but not always. All major carriers and manufacturers state that altering or using un-approved software voids the warranty, so proceed with caution.

You've also got to be careful about the kinds of apps you install on your rooted phone. Read all the reviews and pay special attention to what kinds of permissions the app asks for.

Maybe. Most updates are designed to work with original software, so they need to check to make sure your software is just as they left it. If you decide to un-root your phone, usually you can update it again.

Can I un-root my phone?

It depends. Some phones are insanely easy to revert back and some are really difficult. This is the most important thing to research before you begin your rooting expedition.

In conclusion, so long as you do your research, rooting can give you an extra level of control over your Android phone. If you decide to root, consider the advice we've laid out here. The risks are real, but so are the rewards!

ram choudhary

Feb 15, 2012, 6:11:52 AM via Website

Hey should I root my xperia neo? I m confused?

Steven Blum

Feb 15, 2012, 10:28:03 AM via Website

Hi Ram,

What are you trying to accomplish by rooting it? What would you like to change about your phone?

Christopher Silva
  • Forum posts: 189

Feb 15, 2012, 2:36:05 PM via Website

carmine92207
hello so u think its bricked i thought ehen its bricked nothing at all happens thanks is there nothing i can try

sure there is:
- Take out the battery
- connect your device to a computer via usb
- press volume down and power and if it has one the center button and wait....

This should bring you back to a default mode where you can do something.

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Feb 15, 2012, 3:11:23 PM via Website

Christopher Silva
carmine92207

sure there is:
- Take out the battery
- connect your device to a computer via usb
- press volume down and power and if it has one the center button and wait....

This should bring you back to a default mode where you can do something.

If your soft bricked, this method will work. You just need to get back into recovery. If you can do that your golden.

If your hard bricked however, there unfortunately arent that many options :(

Christopher Silva
  • Forum posts: 189

Feb 20, 2012, 9:47:39 AM via Website

Carmine, any news ?

Eric McBride

Feb 20, 2012, 2:08:02 PM via Website

Christopher Silva
Carmine, any news ?

Yeah, Im curious as well.

Shawn Davis
  • Forum posts: 4

Feb 29, 2012, 11:44:08 PM via App

Hi um I was wondering do u hav ne information on how to successfully root a Galaxy S 4g without a computer? Ive searched nd spent countless hours looking up ways to root my phone with no success :( Ne and all information would greatly b appreciated

haffifi abdullah
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 28, 2012, 10:35:03 AM via Website

should i root my android.i bought a htc evo 3d with android 2.3.4 in it which is gingerbread if im not mistaken.to what extent could i upgrade my android version? HELP ME PLEASE

bajram k.

May 9, 2012, 2:59:50 PM via Website

German : Hej habe mein Handy gerootet und zwar mit odin und mit 2.3.6 hatte ich schon aber als ich es rooten wollte dann hatte ich einen Fehler dabei und zwar wenn ich mein handy einschalte kommt ein schwarzer Bildschirm & Telefon .... (!) ... Computer wer kann mir helfen BITTE (Samsung Galaxy s i9000) BITTE BRAUCHE HILFE !

English : Hey I rooted my phone and that with odin and I had with 2.3.6 but when I tried it rooten then I had an error here and that if I turn on my cell phone is a black screen and telephone .... (!) ... Computer who can help me PLEASE (Samsung's i9000 Galaxy) PLEASE DO HELP!

Eric McBride

May 9, 2012, 5:33:33 PM via Website

Hmm....first off, is it possible to pull your battery out and then get the phone back into recovery or fastboot mode? If you can get there, you aren't bricked and have many options.

Patrick R.
  • Forum posts: 66

Aug 31, 2012, 5:03:27 PM via Website

For those encountering a problem with odin, did your flashing display "passed" or "failed" in the odin console? Can you boot into either recover or download mode or only in recovery? Did you make a nandroid backup prior to flashing?

If you can do download mode only, please try downloading your .tar files again and check the md5 sum if it matches to make sure you are flashing an uncorrupted file. Hopefully reflashing the file again with odin will save your phone.

If you can do recovery, then try flashing a kernel and rom from there or hopefully you made a nandroid back up and restore.

Please give more details, like what were you trying to flash? Did you tick repartition in odin or did you try to flash a pit file? Maybe you used the wrong pit file?

herrey hassan

Sep 2, 2012, 8:18:14 PM via Website

i want to root my arc s but i donno how?
please teach me step by step starting unlock bootloader and root
plzzzzzzzzz
that need to downgrade my phone first??
what tool that i need to download

dave bro
  • Forum posts: 5

Sep 28, 2012, 10:29:35 AM via Website

herrey hassan
plzzzzzzzzz

http://wiki.rootzwiki.com

:V

Abbas Shakhi

herrey hassan

Sep 29, 2012, 12:48:08 AM via Website

tq:grin:

Rafael Portela

Oct 7, 2012, 5:18:55 AM via Website

Hello! I rooted my HTC Sensation 4G and now I want to revert it to original factory settings. I have a recovery thing (think its called Revolution) and I want to take that out as well. Thank you!

apk manager

Jan 17, 2013, 12:26:45 AM via Website

How can I root Samsung Galaxy S III

Nikhil Gorwani
  • Forum posts: 37

Apr 23, 2013, 8:45:49 AM via Website

Steven Blum
What exactly is rooting?

Can I un-root my phone?

Thanks for the info

Manpreet

Apr 27, 2013, 10:06:23 AM via App

Steven Blum
What exactly is rooting?

Can I un-root my phone?

It depends. Some phones are insanely easy to revert back and some are really difficult. This is the most important thing to research before you begin your. rooting expedition.

I have Intex Aqua Sx v.2.3.6
Please help me to root this device

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 72

Sep 19, 2013, 2:40:54 PM via Website

Thanks for the useful information provided here. Keep sharing and updating.

amin yaks

Nov 18, 2013, 8:27:29 PM via Website

hi Aaron how you doing hope oll is fine , i hav search for days on how to root mytorch 4g HTC and upgrade it to 4.0 but i havnt got a way out. so please would u help me with a tutorial. please help me that

amin yaks

Nov 18, 2013, 8:30:07 PM via Website

try 1 click root

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Nov 28, 2013, 11:46:05 AM via Website

dave bro
herrey hassan
plzzzzzzzzz

http://wiki.rootzwiki.com

:V

Go to settings > Security > Mark "Unknown sources"
Settings > Developer options > Mark USB debugging
Settings > Xperia > connectivity > USB connection mode > select MSC mode
PC Companion installed on your PC.

1) Connect your phone to PC and wait for the adb drivers to be installed. If these drivers don't get installed, phone would not be detected by Eroot.
Make sure nothing else is running on your PC in the background.
2) Download rooting toolkit. and run it. If any downloading starts, cancel it by clicking the green button. Don't let the eroot download anything.
It should now detect your phone and show an option to "-root". Just click on it, wait till it finishes
3)Rooting done, If by chance it fails for the first time, give it another go. it won't harm your phone in any way.

Cgvmellii
  • Forum posts: 14

Mar 30, 2015, 8:20:28 AM via Website

I only know one thing - before root andorid phone ,people need to do backup data about android phone.

sanajamal

Tryxee Robinson
  • Forum posts: 10

Apr 9, 2015, 10:50:04 AM via Website

Hi Carmine, I'm sure your device is on bootloop and I do have the same situation as yours before. I've been feeling so exhausted searching over the net on how to resolve the case on my exhbit and finally, I reached rooting-android.com site and there, they helped me out all the way to bring back to life my device.. so happy with there aid and I rooted it again, the result is so amazing, if you want real help in a real time, you better go to this site, and I can still remember, it was Oscar who helped me.. maybe you could also ask for him too.. :D Hope you'll have your device back.. :):):) bless you!

sanajamal

vinay
  • Forum posts: 14

Dec 2, 2015, 6:42:31 AM via Website

Android rooting is the process of allowing users of android smartphones and android tablets or another android device to attain privileged control over the various Android subsystems.

sanajamal

Daskal

Jan 12, 2016, 4:34:01 PM via Website

Hi I have a samsung galaxy core prime sm-g361f G361FXXU1AOJ1 can some one help me root it

sanajamal

karensavana
  • Forum posts: 17

Apr 15, 2016, 8:51:35 AM via Website

Try King Root which can root most Android mobile, including Android 5.1.

sanajamal

Denise Nash
  • Forum posts: 9

Apr 15, 2016, 3:46:16 PM via Website

Can I un-root my phone?

I just want to know that how to research whether we can revert back our phone back after we rooted it?

— modified on Apr 15, 2016, 3:46:37 PM

sanajamal

Rweethy
  • Forum posts: 17

Jul 15, 2016, 4:26:11 AM via Website

Tom William

how to root Samsung Galaxy S7?

I have same problem...(thinking)

Geoff Cole

Oct 1, 2017, 6:36:47 PM via Website

Hi

I just rooted my xperia xa.

My phones volume down button is broke after being dropped in water. Now every time my phone boots it's in same mode. I rooted to try and disable the volume button to try and get out of safe mode. The problem is that in safe mode there are no file explorer apps that will open. Any suggestions?

James Albert
  • Forum posts: 20

Dec 23, 2017, 1:30:57 PM via Website

Hey thanks for the sticky thread :)

James Albert

Dec 23, 2017, 1:32:08 PM via Website

If i get any solution regarding your this issue, i'll update you

James Albert

Dec 23, 2017, 1:33:17 PM via Website

King Root is not safe rooting software, sometimes it also hangs devices, and this software is paid one, well i have cracked link of KingRoot, if even then anyone wants this, so contact me, i will provide link

Abbas Shakhi
  • Forum posts: 47

May 23, 2019, 4:04:14 PM via Website

Try to root your device with one click rooting apps like https://www.apkglobe.net/app/autoroot-tools/

This is one which I have used once. You can use it on your way and taste.

Abbas Shakhi
  • Forum posts: 47

May 23, 2019, 4:05:48 PM via Website

You can use one click root applications as well to get root of phone.

Joanna12
  • Forum posts: 15

Sep 18, 2019, 12:12:56 PM via Website

Thanks for sharing this kinda information with us. Because this article is valuable is for all android users. Because everyone likes to know about android OS.

Tiffany Miller
  • Forum posts: 100

Sep 18, 2019, 1:25:50 PM via Website

Thank you