HTC Desire HD — DHD OTA on unlocked phone.

• Replies:6
Stuart D.
  • Forum posts: 3

Jun 27, 2011, 1:09:43 PM via Website

I've been patiently waiting for the OTA update to gingerbread for my DHD - but it still hasn't arrived.

Would that have anything to do with the fact that:
  1. My phone has been unlocked?
  2. the update has been postponed by the carrier that the phone was locked to?

I bought the phone effectively new from someone that didn't want the upgrade and had it unlocked so that I could use my own sim / carrier. And I'm just wondeering if that will have any bearing on the matter?

Also, the carrier it was locked to was 3 and I note from an end of May announcement that the DHD update is delayed.

Niels Christiansen
  • Forum posts: 47

Jun 28, 2011, 9:02:38 PM via App

Hello Stuart,

1: No. It just means that your phone can be on whatever network you choose. A locked phone can only connect to the network(s) it is tied to.

2: Oh yes. Unfortunately carriers often seem to drag their feet when it comes to new Android releases.
It is arguably a primary reason why some Android owners choose to root their devices.

Stuart D.

Stuart D.

Jun 28, 2011, 10:49:21 PM via Website

Ok thanks for that.

One more question that arises then is..... does all this mean I have to wait for the original carrier to provide the update or should I be getting it via HTC directly?

Niels Christiansen
  • Forum posts: 47

Jun 29, 2011, 1:49:52 PM via App

Hello again,

Two choices:

Wait for the carrier to release the update, or root your phone and install the mod and Android of choice.
There are different mods available.
The XDA fora would be a good place to gather information on the subject.

Kind regards.

Stuart D.

Stein Otto
  • Forum posts: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 3:14:57 PM via Website

Just for information, you can not install OTA on rooted DHD. That will nor work, you just need to get RUU file in stead and install by USB. That works perfect :P
You will be able to downloade and start installation but when installation find moded boot loader it will "hang" for hours at triangle progress stage and never pass that stage.

Stuart D.

Apr 9, 2012, 3:51:53 PM via Website

Stein Otto
Just for information, you can not install OTA on rooted DHD. That will nor work, you just need to get RUU file in stead and install by USB. That works perfect :P
You will be able to downloade and start installation but when installation find moded boot loader it will "hang" for hours at triangle progress stage and never pass that stage.

OK noted.

Interestingly not too long after I posted my query I smashed my phone and it had to be replaced by my insurance company. So I got a shiny new & unlocked from the start DHD which within a day was receiving the OTA update I'd been waiting for.

So it seems my delay was all due to the phone still retaining a sense of belonging to the 3 network.

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Apr 10, 2012, 5:48:31 PM via Website

Stuart D.
Stein Otto

OK noted.

Interestingly not too long after I posted my query I smashed my phone and it had to be replaced by my insurance company. So I got a shiny new & unlocked from the start DHD which within a day was receiving the OTA update I'd been waiting for.

So it seems my delay was all due to the phone still retaining a sense of belonging to the 3 network.

Glad to hear you got your update :)