Help phone won't charge!

• Replies:20
Daniel Vazquez
  • Forum posts: 19

Jun 20, 2011, 12:02:00 AM via App

About two days ago I woke and found my phone to have only 15% battery left even though it said it was charging and it was on the charger all night. Now my phone charges either very slowly when plugged in or not at all. Before this behavior started to occur my phone (lg optimus s) would charge fully in less than an hour if untouched, now I'm hopping and praying it won't just die on me. I have scanned for viruses with the lookout app but it says none found, any ideas on how to fix this problem?

— modified on Jun 20, 2011, 12:03:59 AM

Yan Matusevich
  • Forum posts: 305

Jun 20, 2011, 12:08:34 AM via Website

This sounds like a hardware issue to me. Have you tried charging the phone with a different cable? That's a sure way for checking if it's the phone itself.

IamArah RebatoNora E Chavez

Daniel Vazquez

Jun 20, 2011, 12:27:39 AM via App

Oh woah thank you! Your right it was the charger, my phone is charging normally now, thank you very much!

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Sep 16, 2011, 12:27:54 PM via Website

Glad to hear its charing now but I qote PC World

Until battery technology changes to double or triple capacity, you will have to change your charging habits to fit the needs of the smartphone. Instead of charging it every few days, or only charging it overnight, you need to charge the phone basically whenever it isn't being used. Driving in your car--charge the phone. Sitting at your desk--charge the phone. Sleeping at night--charge the phone.

So youll have expect it to charge slow at first. Thats normal with most phones.

Check out our Technology forum for more battery life tips.

Matt Allen
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 3:21:17 PM via Website

I'm a little late in this reply, but I'm going to mention this just because when you type "Phone won't charge" this comes up....And for someone like me who searches the net all day looking for a
And I know you have already resolved the issue by using a charger that works; tho on the other hand of someone, like me, who's phone actually would not boot up or hold charge I did this:
I own a LG Optimus One (something, something) and I tried:
- Taking out the battery
-Holding dwn the pwr button for 30 secs
-Holding dwn the HOME button, VOLUME DWN button and POWER button at the same time. This WORKED.
I was excited.
Yay. I have had hardware issue w cell phones before and the service providers usually don't do much except try to send it off for you or actually give you the same replacement. Which is it has a hardware issue, than it's gonna happen again.
So I didn't have to miss out on close to a buckfitty!
Peace. Hope it helped??

Bruce DCOC Dani

kayrose

Nov 8, 2011, 5:38:52 AM via Website

omg!!!! ur a life saver!! it actually WORKED. yay!! ^_^ <3

OC Dani

OC Dani

Jun 5, 2012, 10:48:07 PM via Website

Thank you! This worked. Once the phone comes back on, use the volume keys to toggle and select reboot. (Select reboot by pressing home key when reboot is illuminated.) My phone is charging again!

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Jun 6, 2012, 12:46:41 PM via Website

Matt Allen
I'm a little late in this reply, but I'm going to mention this just because when you type "Phone won't charge" this comes up....And for someone like me who searches the net all day looking for a
And I know you have already resolved the issue by using a charger that works; tho on the other hand of someone, like me, who's phone actually would not boot up or hold charge I did this:
- Taking out the battery
-Holding dwn the HOME button, VOLUME DWN button and POWER button at the same time. This WORKED.
I was excited.
Yay. I have had hardware issue w cell phones before and the service providers usually don't do much except try to send it off for you or actually give you the same replacement. Which is it has a hardware issue, than it's gonna happen again.
Peace. Hope it helped??

Nice advice man! :)

Theresa Puckett

Dec 21, 2012, 8:28:47 PM via Website

Do you do all this with the battery out? I am confused. My phone wont hold a charge and its only 2 months old

MelissaLG

Jun 12, 2013, 11:28:24 PM via Website

i also own a lg optimus one and my phone wont charge so im going to try this and it will probably work so thanks :)

Mark Thompson

Jul 15, 2013, 7:43:31 PM via Website

I have an optimus L55C and it is giving me hell. I got a refurbed one from straighttalk. It has had charging issues since I got it a month ago. the original USB cable that came with it doesn't want to work. I can't link it to my PC or anything. I had to revert to an old LG charger I had laying around, Any tips or Ideas?? As it is getting really old having to babysit my phone thru its charging process......

jessenia caraballo

Aug 10, 2013, 7:01:15 PM via Website

hi i was wondering if you factory reset the phone will it charge normally?

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Aug 12, 2013, 5:01:15 PM via Website

I thought I'd add a couple points here: you can also check the metallic connectors in the charger socket on the phone. Sometimes these are a bit 'slack' and you won't get a proper connection. All you need to do is gently lever the metallic tab up a little to get a better connection. Just take the battery out first!

And secondly, Aaron Tilton's comment is true - Li-Ion batteries don't suffer from memory issues like some batteries, in fact they actually suffer from low-voltage issues, so it is recommended to charge them whenever they get to 50% (or just whenever you can, as Aaron suggested). Plus, if you have a charger at home, in the car and at work, you're less likely to have problems with one specific charger not working!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Wilson Fooks

Jan 21, 2014, 6:17:10 AM via Website

@ Matt Allen: You are my hero this worked on my wifes phone which is an lg escape P870. This has happened before but i didnt find this post until the second time her phone did this the first time it just happened to fix its self. Thanks

Amy Marcus

Feb 13, 2014, 3:45:52 PM via Website

Thanks for the tip on the little metal connecters that may not be connecting. I took the battery out, grabbed the mini screwdriver set we have and wedged the smallest one *gently* (Very Gently!) under the little bar connecter on my Optimus one. It's charging now. You rock.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Feb 14, 2014, 6:22:45 AM via Website

what i'll suggest instead of cleaning up the device using the mini screw driver or something like use the soft napkin paper to clean up the terminal, take a soft napkin paper and put some petrol in it and then gently rub it get clean, what normally happens with battery terminal are they collect some rust or ...... something like that if you rub it via screw driver most of the time it gets damaged because of the hardness but if you use soft napkin with just a little petrol rust or .... can be easily removed without damaging the terminal.

Gina C

Jul 28, 2014, 2:42:43 AM via Website

Matt Allen - THAT WORKED!!!! Thank you so much. I thought my piece of junk Tracfone LG Optimus was toast...I had already tried taking out the battery and thought the key combo thing sounded weird but intriguing lol so I tried it and now the phone is up and says 100% charged. I actually registered here to leave this comment so hopefully if anyone was hesitant yes it did help me!!

Russ Apple

Feb 22, 2015, 6:16:52 AM via Website

Matt Allen

- Taking out the battery
I was excited.
Peace. Hope it helped??

Matt, Went through all the registration rigamarole just so that I could say, "THANKS!" Your 'Vulcan Mind Meld' button fix worked! Stopped my Optimus from its repeatedly stop charging. Not sure what was reset but my problem is finally fixed, saving me some $$. Much appreciated. Best regards. -Russ

MegeByte

Jul 29, 2016, 8:26:50 AM via Website

Hi Theresa,

Sometimes it's possible that your phone is not charging properly. I also faced this problem when I am the new android user. But when I try to clean up the USB port and switch off my device while being charged I got the possible solution of my problem.

Thomasbang

May 29, 2017, 5:41:19 AM via Website

Use the original charger, there various charger power from 5V1A 5V2A to 9V2A(quick charge)

— modified on May 29, 2017, 5:59:12 AM