Milestone xt720 2.1.1 upgrade to 2.2 required VERY badly :(

• Replies:23
R A N
  • Forum posts: 13

Dec 29, 2010, 1:29:55 AM via Website

Okay first of all, my warmest greetings to all. I am a new android user and so far the experience has been great, the point is im new so may not know much.

I bought a milestone xt720 last week, it was expensive and i had saved up bit by bit for it. Unfortunately as i learned along the way it was disappointing, not the phone it self, but the Android 2.1. The phone is extremely laggy, after 3 applications runs full on system memory and very easily freezes and crashes. I need the 2.2 update SO bad.

I have been going around to different forums, and youtube looking for this specific update, as i know there are many milestone users out there who faced the same problem, however I couldn't find a page that had everything in one place and was easy enough to understand. I apologize if this question is a repeat, but you guys have no idea how desperate I am for the upgrade, my phone is useless at the current state, I cant even SMS properly because the keypad hangs! And I would be SO grateful if some one could walk me through the process or atleast give me all the links.

I am not a programmer, but somewhat understand what rooting and flashing does. I use to to root my old motorola l9 but that was way too easy and not as risky.

Thanks ahead of time, and you guys doing a good job around the forums. People like that can be appreciated.

R A N

Dec 29, 2010, 1:39:35 AM via Website

Sorry, forgot a very crucial detail. I never got Google App Marketplace with my phone. Dont know why Google would choose to create diversity but..

— modified on Dec 29, 2010, 1:39:59 AM

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Dec 29, 2010, 6:28:36 AM via Website

Where did you buy this phone? It sounds like to me, you may have a defective phone. You shouldn't be having that many problems with it. And the fact that it doesn't have the google marketplace on it makes it seem even more sketchy. If I were you, I would try to get my money back for the phone if you still can, and get another one from a better source.

edit: Also from what I've heard from some people, is that upgrading to 2.2 on a budget/low end phone may actually make the phone slower. Some people I've talked to say the 2.2 upgrade actually made their phone worse.

— modified on Dec 29, 2010, 6:31:33 AM

R A N

R A N

Dec 29, 2010, 9:58:04 AM via Website

I purchased this phone froma good chain retail store. It is impossible to replace, but from what I understand its not the phone thats defective, its the memory issue. I went forum to forum and found people having the same problem. bumping up to 2.2 could atleast cure the memory problem and then I could over clock it to 850 or something. This phone has come preset to 750mhz. Still dont understand why they would leave the marketplace out and still set the price so high!

— modified on Dec 29, 2010, 9:59:35 AM

R A N

Dec 29, 2010, 10:25:43 AM via Website

It doesnt make sense, why would the xt720 be slower when ported to 2.2? It has the same specs as the milestone1. I feel ripped off, i was getting a good deal on the milestone1 from the same store, a dock, car charger and gps car mount free. Instead I paid extra to the xt with no accessories. this sucks the phone is a lot sleeker but why crappier?

Mile stone 1

133 MB storage, 256 MB RAM
microSD, up to 32GB, 8GB included,
Android OS, v2.1 (Eclair), upgradable to v2.2
ARM Cortex A8 600 MHz, PowerVR SGX530 graphics

Xt720

150 MB storage, 256 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM
microSD, up to 32GB, 8GB card included,
Android OS, v2.1 (Eclair)
ARM Cortex A8 720 MHz processor

— modified on Dec 29, 2010, 10:31:41 AM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Dec 29, 2010, 11:46:45 AM via Website

As Jeremiah said, I think you have a defective phone. When you bought it, was it new out of the box? Motorola phones should come with the Android Market installed. If you don't have one, then something is very wrong.

If you really can't return/exchange the phone at the store (which you should try to), then you have a few options:

Back up any apps that you want to, and perform a factory data reset, which will erase all internal (but not microSD) storage and return the device to how it was when you turned it on the first time. This would be the easiest fix, but may not work.

Try and see if the phone can be sent to Motorola for repair/replacement. This would take the longest amount of time most likely, but may work.

Try and read up enough on rooting/ROMing and try to find a ROM that works well on your phone. This option is going to be the hardest.

— modified on Dec 29, 2010, 11:47:18 AM

R A N

R A N

Dec 29, 2010, 11:51:58 AM via Website

Douglas Carter
As Jeremiah said, I think you have a defective phone. When you bought it, was it new out of the box? Motorola phones should come with the Android Market installed. If you don't have one, then something is very wrong.

If you really can't return/exchange the phone at the store (which you should try to), then you have a few options:

Back up any apps that you want to, and perform a factory data reset, which will erase all internal (but not microSD) storage and return the device to how it was when you turned it on the first time. This would be the easiest fix, but may not work.

Try and see if the phone can be sent to Motorola for repair/replacement. This would take the longest amount of time most likely, but may work.

Try and read up enough on rooting/ROMing and try to find a ROM that works well on your phone. This option is going to be the hardest.

phone was brand new, i learned that marketplace is not just missing on my phone but almost on all of Asia Pacific and Middle east. non sense but true. im working my hardest, trying to figure out my options of rooting it

Douglas Carter

Dec 29, 2010, 12:04:17 PM via Website

Are you absolutely positive the Android Market is not on your phone? Go to settings / applications settings / manage applications. You should see a list populated not just with apps, but with google Android core services like Dialer, Google Services, Media Storage, Network Location, Package Installer, and other programs with an Android icon. Look for an app/program called "Market". If you don't have it, then I believe that you don't have the Market. I did a google search and didn't see any mentions of handsets with no Market installed. Can you show me some examples of other people having this problem?

R A N

R A N

Dec 29, 2010, 1:02:59 PM via Website

I know people paying amounts equal to 200 Usd to local programmers who then flash their android phones with different versions that have the market.
I had a few sites where I did find this online, I will try to find them again now. And yes i am positive, its actually stupid I was like it must be here somewhere, spent hours digging into the phone and couldnt find it, opened up the manual in which it says the Marketplace is present, yet still couldnt find it. So I went to seek help from a friend who then told me about the missing market in local phones.

http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10-mini/211989-howto-install-missing-android-market-xperia-x10-mini.html here one I cant remember the others, but there were. The android phone is handicapped without Marketplace

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Dec 29, 2010, 11:49:49 PM via App

In theory Android 2.2 should be faster/better. There's many improvements such as the jit vm. But like any newer OS it probably uses more memory. So on low end phones it may be starved for memory and thus actually slower.

R A N

R A N

Jan 1, 2011, 9:57:46 AM via Website

I am situated in Saudia Arabia from a few years. Maybe this does have somthing to do with it. Can you please just simplify a few things for?

i want to flash 2.2,

i rooted my phone using universal root, now what do i need to back up and how?

next, how do i flash the new rom, and using what program?

do i only flash the rom? what is a kernel? i mean what files do i flash.

im getting there just need guidance

Douglas Carter

Jan 1, 2011, 5:05:42 PM via Website

Okay, I found out why there is no Android Market. This is not a problem with Motorola. This is a problem with Google and the government of Saudi Arabia. Some other countries have the same problem. Look at this thread here: http://forums.doubletwist.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=4049

Apparently, no agreement between Google and Saudi Arabia has been reached regarding the Android Market and how to handle the stuff which can be downloaded/purchased from it. These are likely political reasons stemming from censorship and online surveillance. It is likely that Motorola shipped the devices without the market installed because they were forced to, if they wanted to sell in Saudi Arabia.

R A N

Douglas Carter

Jan 1, 2011, 5:07:43 PM via Website

for one walk-through on ROM flashing, take a look at this page here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/05/08/complete-guide-how-to-flash-a-custom-rom-to-your-android-phone-with-rom-manager-full-backup-restore/

or take a look at the other search results in this list: http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&q=how+to+android+ROM+flashing&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=e64ee6e4e8056c32

R A N

R A N

Jan 1, 2011, 5:46:34 PM via Website

Alright, will indeed. I managed to forge google market onto the phone. Some guy uploaded the Vending file from him x10 mini which I imported into the system files and somehow it worked. All of a sudden the phone doesn't seem that bad, except the laggy-ness and low memory problem. Im sure theres a way around it. Thanks a lot man, lets see how it goes.

R A N

Jan 1, 2011, 9:16:09 PM via Website

okay I'm a little screwed. I didnt even get to part one which was backup, because the phone just wouldnt backit self up through Rom manager. And then I restored factory settings because applications would crash, and the problem didnt go away. Now i have to find a way to flash the phone :/

bingz akina
  • Forum posts: 3

Jan 11, 2011, 9:12:08 PM via Website

Hi, I'm new on this Android too.
But what I learned was... android phone are same as any computer. They eat so much processor and ram.
What I do in any computer is to stop any services that I don't need or running applications. It helps a lot if
we talk about speed in computing. Now this goes same as any Android Phone,you have to close any apps that
is running that you don't need, and this can be found in

Settings / Appliications / Manage applications or Running services.
or better to download the
Task manager apps, and have it in your Phone desktop for easy access.

I also have the "On the fly back up" to back up all your apps in SDcard.
and a widget that for me to turn off easily my WiFi, Bluetooth, and screen brightness.

Reminder: You just have to make sure which one to Force close the apps
and not other services that you need to receive calls and txt mssging, etc.

Hey, you don't need the GPS, turn it off buddy. You can always turn it back on when needed, right?

Hope this help you a lot. Try to explore more in your phone, nothing will go wrong.
If something goes wrong, just restart the phone again or do the reset (default-settings).

R A N

R A N

Feb 24, 2011, 12:39:02 AM via App

did so much research. i flashed the korian rom which was hell, then i stepped up to froyo dexturs version which was also hell because sensors dont work. and then i flashed the stock rom of UK release and the phone runs like a charm!

— modified on Feb 24, 2011, 12:40:34 AM

R A N

Feb 24, 2011, 11:59:11 PM via App

oh yess it has! infact i overclocked it to 1100mhz and started using Launcher Pro. and its like a completely different better phone. and somehow this rom has a lot of free space aswell along with all previous features.

R A N

Feb 25, 2011, 1:33:53 PM via Website

Frankly, the battery is just fine. I mean sure overclocking must make a huge difference but from my use I have learnt that its mostly only the display that sucks up the power. I get upto 15 16 hours if I use the phone only for important calls, with gprs wifi and email sync RUNNING, and when I use it for gaming or non stop messaging, it lasts anywhere from 3 hours to 4 hours.
I tried underclocking to 550mhz but didnt note any significant difference

k0i_max
  • Forum posts: 1

Jun 11, 2013, 1:34:01 PM via Website

so uhm, i have the same problem... where did you download the uk version rom for the xt720? what android version is it?