HTC Desire HD — battery

• Replies:13
Thomas Mosimann
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 13, 2010, 9:38:00 PM via Website

My new HTC Desire HD is wunderful - but, tha battery doesn't really last a long time - what are your experiences?

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Dec 14, 2010, 2:05:01 PM via Website

I played with the Desire HD at AndroidPIT HQ not that long ago and was also a bit skeptical of the battery. It only has around 1200mAh, while many other phones have 1300, 1400, or 1500mAh batteries. How much usage time are you getting out of a normal day, and what are you doing with it during that time?

Thomas Mosimann
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 17, 2010, 7:36:24 PM via Website

The battery lasts at least one day with my actual usage. Some surfing on the web, messaging, some calls. in myopinio, the active syc needs quit a lot of battery... so I ofte shut it off.

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Dec 17, 2010, 9:02:02 PM via App

Turning off Bluetooth and WiFi when not needed, lowering brightness, and reducing how often apps and email refresh all seem to help on my HTC Eris. Also look in setting as to what's using your battery the most.. I had savvy shopper barcode reader until I noticed how much battery it used.

olle wareus
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 3:58:39 PM via Website

I dont know that much about android phones but my battery doesn't last more than a day find this to be very irritating. so i bought i new battery that didn't help very much either. Food for thought is there a task killer for android phones ? i was thinking maybe that could be the problem having to many things running in the back round that kills the battery

Douglas Carter

Jan 10, 2011, 5:15:30 PM via Website

Yes, it is possible that you have too many apps running in the background, causing the battery to drain prematurely. An Android Task Killer may help you regain some battery life. However, getting one day of use out of your phone's battery is commonplace these days. Manufacturers don't feel that smartphones should have bigger batteries these days.

However, I'd first suggest that you take a look at what kind of wireless connections your phone is using. Do you always have a 3G connection running? How often do you have GPS on? How long is your bluetooth being used? What level of brightness is your touchscreen display set to normally?

Dante Barcenilla

Feb 6, 2011, 9:33:20 PM via Website

In order to prolong the Battery life:
1) Disable mobile data (not unless if you need them-like downloading applications from HTC or updating your phone)
2) Disable W-Fi (not unless if you need them)
3) Avoid using Live Wallpaper
4) Use GSM instead of 3G (battery tend to spend much searching for 3G all the time)
5) Disable background data (not unless if you need them-like downloading some applications from HTC)

Have fun ... Goodluck!

Lew Yih Wey

Feb 27, 2011, 7:55:00 AM via Website

battery life is too short..need to recharge my batter everyday..my brightness is ady the lowest.turn off bluetooth n wifi mostly of the time.
hw to prevent the data from running bakground?many app run automatic even i din start it..

Douglas Carter

Feb 28, 2011, 1:02:19 PM via Website

Having to charge your smartphone every day is actually very common. Some people have a charger at home AND at work, because they use their phone so much that it has to be charged at the office as well.

If you want to improve battery life, take a look at some of the suggestions in this thread. As for the apps which you want to stop, if it really bothers you, try one of the Task Killer apps.

Alex T.
  • Forum posts: 30

Mar 1, 2011, 3:15:24 AM via Website

I actually don't recommend using a Task Killer. Dante's write-up summarizes a bunch of good points, but if you want to stretch your battery life I have one complicated solution: root and freeze bloatware. If your carrier decided for you what apps come preinstalled there's a good chance there's stuff running that you don't need. You can delete those apps, but that's a bad idea if you want to upgrade the OS at some point.

You can get Titanium Backup and freeze apps (so you can unfreeze and upgrade). For me constant power drainers were Skype, the Verizon backup app and NFS that started automatically. Whatever you can't uninstall and don't use you can freeze.

I used to use a Task Killer but since I went without, I've gotten 50% more battery. You can get Titanium Pro here: https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackupPro/Titanium-Backup-PRO-Key-root

There's also a free version in our store that'll still suit your needs. If you want a task manager that's on-demand only you can also get Smartbar that has a bunch of other functions: https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/com.aps.smartbar/SmartBar

Douglas Carter

Mar 1, 2011, 1:16:15 PM via Website

Task Killers are not really necessary in the most part for the later Android versions, but for the 1.5 and 1.6 devices, they are still needed in large part. Back when I had my G1 on 1.6, if you wanted more than a half day out of the battery, you had to use the task killer often otherwise the apps would drain the battery very quickly.

I use the built-in task killer in Gingerbread to kill apps that are getting buggy and malfunctioning, but not on a regular basis since the latest versions of Android don't really need to be constantly watched over.

Lew Yih Wey, are you talking about wanting to stop apps/processes running in the background, or do you want to stop data transmissions over the network that are occurring in the background?

— modified on Mar 1, 2011, 1:17:36 PM

mike b.

Mar 4, 2011, 5:34:06 AM via Website

yea its not just the htc that dies like that all of the phones an tablets by android do the same thing you should try to turn down your back light an turn your wi-fi off if your not using it seems to work for me give me about an hour more battery time depending on how much you use the phone ..lol dont know why

Douglas Carter

Mar 4, 2011, 12:57:51 PM via Website

It is a problem within the smartphone maker industry itself. The companies making smartphones now (WP7, Android, iPhone) are more concerned about aesthetics (how thin and well-designed something looks) as opposed to how long the device can actually work. It makes very little sense in my opinion.

What is the point of having a very thin and powerful smartphone if after 10 hours of use, its only function is as a paperweight? I wish that they would make it so users could get at least two solid days out of their phones, instead of always pursuing the thinnest/smallest phones possible.

rdisanza
  • Forum posts: 5

Mar 7, 2011, 12:39:53 AM via App

just get Juicedefender, its free and gives me 1 1/2 normal battery. Works just fine on default settings.