WorldScope-14.000+ LIVE webcams around the world

• Replies:25
Goran Kukurin
  • Forum posts: 17

Aug 5, 2010, 12:47:43 AM via Website

Here is my new app. Every suggestion is welcomed.

Take a look around the World through the eyes of more than 14.000 LIVE webcams. Still images refreshed approximately every 30 min.

New in v2.0
-search by map location and keywords
-favorites grouping and batch webcams refresh
-redesigned UI
-portrait and landscape support
-enhanced speed and stability
-free, ad supported

You can watch a short demo on Youtube

If you like the app, download it for free from your Android phone directly or here:

— modified on Nov 19, 2010, 12:16:52 AM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Aug 5, 2010, 11:26:36 AM via Website

I just DLed it and am trying it out now. So the app allows you to look at a recent screenshots, or is there video feed available as well, but I am too stupid to find it? It is interesting, I just wish there was a webcam in my hometown. Unfortunately, it appears to be too small.

An interesting addition:
add a map function similar to google maps, and have markers for each webcam supported, that way a user can use the map to look around the globe, and choose the webcam nearest to something interesting. There is a search function, but having a map as well would be even better I believe.

Edit: I see from your video that you already have that feature, but it doesn't work on my Samsung Galaxy S :(

— modified on Aug 5, 2010, 11:32:12 AM

Goran Kukurin

Aug 5, 2010, 12:47:01 PM via Website

Douglas, thank you for your feedback. It is always interesting to read your comments on new apps.

I had problems with map function on some devices/carriers, but I thought it was solved in version 2.02. It takes some time for a map to load when you start the app for the first time. What app version are you using (visible in menu->help/about)?

Regarding video feed, WorldScope does not support it for now because the API I am using (webcam.travel) doesn't support it neither. The still pictures are refreshed regularly. The refresh interval depends on each webcam, you can always read the last refresh time from the screen.

For future releases I plan to add another features:
-browsing history so you can quickly re-visit the last few webcams
-video diary (the possibility to save history of chosen favorite webcams images)

Other ideas are welcomed

Goran Kukurin

Aug 6, 2010, 9:39:05 AM via Website

I will take care of this as soon as possible.

— modified on Aug 17, 2010, 2:46:16 PM

Goran Kukurin

Aug 17, 2010, 2:46:45 PM via Website

Worlscope v2.03 is available for free on Android market. I think that mapview issue is finally resolved :)

Douglas Carter

Aug 17, 2010, 3:44:36 PM via Website

The map functionality works great now. Glad to see you managed to fix it. Much more enjoyable now that I can just look at a map and find a webcam in that area. Good job! How long did it take to fix the issue, and was it a simple fix?

Goran Kukurin

Aug 17, 2010, 4:05:05 PM via Website

It was a silly mistake of mine, but perhaps might help other developers: I've tested the application on few emulators, my HTC Desire and few other real devices. The problem was that on all of those test "devices" I've uploaded a APK with Google Maps DEBUG API key.

Before release, when exporting a signed application from Eclipse, I've forgotten to change the API key to production one.

Very simple, right?

Happy to hear suggestions how to improve WorldScope in future releases.

Goran Kukurin

Sep 8, 2010, 9:25:13 AM via Website

Worldscope 2.06 is coming soon, there is still enough time to request new features.

New features in v2.06:
  • save your favorite webcam as wallpaper and let it refresh periodically in the background
  • show webcam location in satellite or streetview
  • browsing history allows quick access to recently viewed webcams
  • languages supported: english, german, spanish, french, russian, croatian, chinese
  • bugfixes, of course :P

in the meantime my sons redesigned worldscope website at http://worldscopemobile.com, take a look.

Goran Kukurin

Sep 14, 2010, 5:17:12 PM via Website

Worldscope v2.10 is available for download on Androidpit Worldscope Webcams and on Android market. FAQ, complete changelog and feedback form on our web site http://worldscopemobile.com

Goran Kukurin

Sep 24, 2010, 6:15:58 PM via Website

Worldscope v2.11 is available for download on Androidpit and on the Android market.

new in 2.11:
  • set group of favorite webcams as a rotating series of wallpaper pictures
  • save webcam image to the picture gallery
  • edit favorites (rename, move up/down, change group)
  • minor UI changes

FAQ, complete changelog and feedback form on our web site http://worldscopemobile.com

Douglas Carter

Sep 27, 2010, 1:24:35 PM via Website

I'm back to using a G1 with Android 1.6, and everything still works (albeit a tad slower now.) Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I have the space to keep it installed on my phone, as I have very little remaining phone storage, and I don't use the app often enough to justify it yet.

Goran Kukurin

Sep 27, 2010, 1:44:35 PM via Website

Douglas Carter
I'm back to using a G1 with Android 1.6, and everything still works (albeit a tad slower now.) Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I have the space to keep it installed on my phone, as I have very little remaining phone storage, and I don't use the app often enough to justify it yet.
Sorry to hear that you are running out of space on your phone. I have a HTC desire with 2.2, but also have similar problem - every now and then have to uninstall some great application.

I've read somewhere once that we'll never have enough memory and processing power :). I agree.

Goran Kukurin

Nov 19, 2010, 12:23:37 AM via Website

Worldscope 3 is published on Android market.
The new version brigns you completely new user interface with following features:
-enhanced map search capabilites. Just point to on a map an preview thumbnails of neighboring webcams
-search hotels near the choosen webcam and get best hotel rates from major travel sites
-improved speed thanks to new cache algorytrhm

You can set your favorite webcams as your wallpaper and let them update in the background, similar to previous versions.

Here are some screenshots:

I hope you will like it, happy Worldscoping

Douglas Carter

Nov 19, 2010, 11:08:25 AM via Website

The UI is much improved over the earlier release. I'm not sure how useful the hotel search feature will be for users, but at least you got it working. I still have the app installed and just updated. Everything still works fine, but the program is still slow on my G1 (not your fault, however.) I keep finding duplicate webcams being displayed in pairs when I use the "Nearby Webcams" feature.

It looks great, good job! I like the 3 triangles when using the map feature. It's a quick way to get to helpful zoom modes.

— modified on Nov 19, 2010, 11:08:34 AM

Goran Kukurin

Nov 19, 2010, 12:28:59 PM via Website

Thanks! Regarding duplicate webcams, I suspect the reason is duplicate entry in webcams.travel database. It is community driven database and in such cases the users are able to flag the suspected webcam as "Duplicate" on their web site (there are "Inappropriate", "Offensive or illegal" and "Out of date" options too).

To go directly to webcams.travel, just click "webcams.travel" button on worldscope's webcam info screen.

There is another interesting option on webcams.travel - you can add new webcams if you find them on the Web, but they are not available in the database yet. Here is the link (you have to register first)

Hope that helps.

Goran Kukurin

Nov 22, 2010, 2:16:37 PM via Website

yes I did, but I don't know when and where exactly will it appear on Android market, as well as new images (Promo Graphic, Feature Graphic and Hi Resolution Application Icon).

Hope we will find it out soon.

John Cena
  • Forum posts: 8

Nov 23, 2010, 10:51:52 AM via Website

I can't able to see the short demo on Youtube.

Goran Kukurin

Nov 23, 2010, 10:59:57 AM via Website

Are you trying to watch it from your phone?

If so, try to watch it from your browser and not from youtube application. There are some known issues with playing youtube videos on Android.

You can also try to watch the same video on our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=112884812112313. Dont forget to like it :)

Please let me know if that helps.

Goran Kukurin

Nov 26, 2010, 3:33:37 PM via Website

New version 3.03 uploaded!
  • included home screen widget (how to add )
  • get your Ad-Free version of Worldscope for FREE till Sunday, 28th November 2010. More info on our facebook page

Goran Kukurin

Dec 8, 2010, 12:17:01 PM via Website

Worldscope 3.10 includes new feature - discover current weather conditions and 5-day forecast near your favorite webcams around the world! Here is a screenshot

Just uploaded to Androidpit.

Goran Kukurin

Dec 8, 2010, 4:51:07 PM via Website

Douglas Carter
Good to see that you decided to upload your app into our database. I wish you luck and sales.
Thanks. Most important: many happy users :) Worldscope is free