How to Factory Reset the Samsung Galaxy S5

• Replies:1
  • Stickied
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Apr 7, 2014, 4:12:56 PM via Website

The easiest way to perform a Factory Reset on your Samsung Galaxy S5 is from within the menu settings:

Settings > User and Backup > Backup and Reset > Factory Data Reset > Reset Device > Delete All/Erase Everything.

https://fscl01.fonpit.de/userfiles/4774964/image/AndroidPIT-Galaxy-S5-Reset-1396879925438.jpg

Please remember to back up any data you want to keep first! In the Factory reset screen you also have the option to Backup My Data and Auto Restore. These are good options to tick before you Factory Reset if you're not too sure how to do this on your own.

If you're at all paranoid about your SIM card or SD card contents just take them out before you do the Factory Reset. Attention: if you reset your device to the factory default with SD card encryption setting enabled, the device will not be able to read your encrypted files. Disable this setting before resetting the device.

Alternatively, you can type in *2767*3855# on the key pad and that will do the same thing.

Remember sometimes you don't need to go even this far to solve problems. First of all try just turning your phone off for a while, or removing the battery entirely. Sometimes something as simple as that is enough to clear up some simple problems.

But if you've tried all of these methods and are still having problems, you can try a Hard Reset, the instructions for which are here.

— modified on Jan 14, 2015, 10:43:35 AM by moderator

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

PamelaMichel
  • Forum posts: 20

May 11, 2015, 6:36:26 AM via App

Well, I really messed up. I thought I'd read every article, every advice from all the big sites, like Pit, AC, Phandroid, DRIPPLER, and even on FORBES! All I remember about the SD card and encryption was that you cannot get encrypted files to be "ENCRYPTED AGAIN", not that your data would be erased. SMH and HUGE TEARS.
I thought I knew what I was doing as I've FR many, many times over on several smartphones. I think I've now lost important evidence for an upcoming court case, this time. All because of Lollipop and not backing up correctly. These were text messages, phone calls, and NotePadPro, notes. Everything else I put on my G. Drive and in Dropbox, thank God.
Thanks for the article, I wish I'd read yours in all the research I did, before backing up last night.
Peace,
PamelaMichele