Hard Reset for the Google Nexus 4

• Replies:7
  • Stickied
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Feb 11, 2014, 6:40:38 PM via Website

Performing a Hard Reset on your device is simple as pie. The difference between a Factory Reset and a Hard Reset is:

Factory Reset
The 'lighter' of the two reset options. It can be done either in settings or via the recovery menu. It wipes all user data and firmware settings but leaves the contents of your internal SD Card intact (not that you have one in your Nexus 4).

Hard Reset
Restores a smartphone to its basic factory settings, which erases all applications that were installed by the user as well as all user data. Hard Reset wipes everything including the contents of your internal SD Card. Whatever firmware you last flashed will be the firmware you get back, but everything else will be wiped.

Clear? Ok, let's proceed with the Hard Reset for the Google Nexus 4.

• From a powered off state, press the Power button to start your Nexus 4. When you see the Google logo press and hold the Volume Down key and release when the device vibrates.
  • Use the volume keys to highlight Recovery Menu and press the Power button to select. This will bring you to a screen with an Android on its back.
  • Hold the Volume Up key for 5 secs then release and a new menu will appear.
  • First off, you can use the volume keys to select Wipe Cache Partition. This will cause your phone to restart. Once this is done, re-do the previous steps to get back to the same screen (the one that Wipe Cache Partition was on).
  • Highlight Wipe Data/Factory Reset and select using the Power key. Scroll down to Yes, Delete All Data and press the Power button again to select.
  • Your Nexus 4 will now wipe your data and reformat.
  • On the next screen hit the Power button to select Reboot System Now.

Let us know if you have any questions or problems.

— modified on Feb 11, 2014, 6:40:49 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Shreesh Otta
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 1, 2014, 7:33:09 AM via Website

Kris Carlon

Performing a Hard Reset on your device is simple as pie. The difference between a Factory Reset and a Hard Reset is:

Factory Reset
The 'lighter' of the two reset options. It can be done either in settings or via the recovery menu. It wipes all user data and firmware settings but leaves the contents of your internal SD Card intact (not that you have one in your Nexus 4).

Hard Reset
Restores a smartphone to its basic factory settings, which erases all applications that were installed by the user as well as all user data. Hard Reset wipes everything including the contents of your internal SD Card. Whatever firmware you last flashed will be the firmware you get back, but everything else will be wiped.

Clear? Ok, let's proceed with the Hard Reset for the Google Nexus 4.

From a powered off state, press the Power button to start your Nexus 4. When you see the Google logo press and hold the Volume Down key and release when the device vibrates.
Use the volume keys to highlight Recovery Menu and press the Power button to select. This will bring you to a screen with an Android on its back.
Hold the Volume Up key for 5 secs then release and a new menu will appear.
First off, you can use the volume keys to select Wipe Cache Partition. This will cause your phone to restart. Once this is done, re-do the previous steps to get back to the same screen (the one that Wipe Cache Partition was on).
Highlight Wipe Data/Factory Reset and select using the Power key. Scroll down to Yes, Delete All Data and press the Power button again to select.
Your Nexus 4 will now wipe your data and reformat.
On the next screen hit the Power button to select Reboot System Now.

Let us know if you have any questions or problems.

I did the hard reset as explained. I have a nexus 4 running on 4.4.4 (not rooted , no bootloader unlocked) .Doesnt the hard resetting downgrade the os version? i expected to see jellybean but i still see the latest build

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Oct 1, 2014, 8:16:58 AM via Website

Shreesh Otta

I did the hard reset as explained. I have a nexus 4 running on 4.4.4 (not rooted , no bootloader unlocked) .Doesnt the hard resetting downgrade the os version? i expected to see jellybean but i still see the latest build

Hard reset will not downgrade the Android Version and 4.4.4 cannot be downgraded .

— modified on Oct 1, 2014, 8:17:28 AM

Ready To Help You.

Amanda B
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 18, 2014, 11:53:01 AM via Website

Hi :) I'm trying to do a hard reset (which I've done before with no issues), but I don't seem to be having any luck. I can get it to the screen with the android on it's back, but then it won't let me select anything. I can scroll through the options just fine, but pressing the power button does nothing

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Oct 18, 2014, 5:17:55 PM via Website

Amanda B

Hi :) I'm trying to do a hard reset (which I've done before with no issues), but I don't seem to be having any luck. I can get it to the screen with the android on it's back, but then it won't let me select anything. I can scroll through the options just fine, but pressing the power button does nothing

if power button doesn't work try the home key.

Ready To Help You.

Manpreet S.

Manpreet S.
  • Forum posts: 6

Dec 28, 2015, 9:28:33 AM via Website

Thank you ,

Hard reset is always downgrade the phones software and its inbuilt applications is there anyway to get rid off it ?

Jazzdev
  • Forum posts: 16

Apr 28, 2022, 8:47:40 AM via Website

It is very helpful