Are we looking at a smartphone manufacturer duopoly?

• Replies:10
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Aug 12, 2013, 3:45:13 PM via Website

With the news that BlackBerry is looking into strategic alternatives to attempt to save the company, and other stories that HTC will need a merger to secure its future, we wanted to ask: are we looking at a smartphone manufacturer duopoly? Can anyone compete with Apple and Samsung's dominance? What do you think this will mean for the future of smartphones? Will innovation decrease if there's no competition to push it?

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Northernbaygirl
  • Forum posts: 52

Aug 13, 2013, 3:28:45 AM via Website

It certainly seems that Apple (though I will never understand why) and Samsung are un-reachable when it comes to the majority share of the smartphone industry. Although Sony does seem to be popular as well I don't think they will overtake Samsung as the market leader for Android, I never had much hope for Blackberry, once they went into the smartphone realm it was a bad start and just got worse. HTC used to be pretty strong but seems to have dropped the ball in the last 18 months or so, maybe if they reintroduce expandable memory & replaceable batteries they could make a strong comeback. I don't think any other manufacturer or any other OS really stands a chance unless they can come up with something totally revolutionary that actually works.

Daniel Jones
  • Forum posts: 105

Aug 13, 2013, 9:26:50 AM via Website

Talking about Android manufacturers, if HTC and Sony will not offer something that is powerful on papers (hardware) at lower price they can not beat Samsung.
Having a loss of $84 M last quarter Blackberrys' future doesn't looks bright and if it continue for this Q too they will definitely sell it out or tie up with someone.

I am Daniel Jones, Working with Kiwitech as app developer. I enjoy exploring apps on various mobile platforms.

Kris Carlon

Aug 13, 2013, 11:50:08 AM via Website

Good call NorthernBayGirl, the number of times I've read about no expandable memory and non-replaceable battery as being the major issues with HTC it seems inconceivable that they haven't listened. We were really surprised they didn't fix those two issues on the One mini and then release a different version of the One with the same features, as well as the upcoming One Max. THAT would be a better investment than Robert Downey Jr!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Rylan Parker
  • Forum posts: 9

Aug 13, 2013, 12:02:22 PM via Website

Blackberry is more of a software and service provider than an OEM now.

Sony and HTC can continue to compete if they improve their foothold in respective domestic markets.

This Duopoly, if that's what we are looking at, will be ugly as litigation will be at the forefront of this rivalry.

Northernbaygirl
  • Forum posts: 52

Aug 13, 2013, 11:54:48 PM via Website

I think they've wasted money on RDJ, they would probably make more of an impact with someone like Chris Hemsworth, Daniel Craig or Johnny Depp. Though I guess it would have cost them more in the short term to get one of them on-board but would probably give a greater return in the long-term

Daniel Jones
  • Forum posts: 105

Aug 14, 2013, 10:00:42 AM via Website

Blackberry for Sale - Its official now looking for a fresh start

I am Daniel Jones, Working with Kiwitech as app developer. I enjoy exploring apps on various mobile platforms.

Kris Carlon

Aug 14, 2013, 10:25:35 AM via Website

I don't know if celebrity endorsements are necessarily the best way to promote a handset anyway. Of course there's a whole lot of extra dough in between RDJ's 12 million and the 1 billion dollar cost of the campaign, so there's obviously a whole lot left over for a traditional advertising blitz. At the very least the campaign is already catchy and has people talking, but I think HTC need a new development or improvement on the One to cash in on the added visibility RDJ will bring, otherwise what's the point? To get people to buy a 6 month old handset that most have already bypassed?

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Aug 14, 2013, 11:05:10 AM via Website

The reason Samsung and Apple are so far ahead is down to one thing; marketing. While I agree about the HTC battery/sd card issues (I have a One X) they weren't enough of a reason to make me purchase an S3. I've always bought my phones sim-free so I don't have my choice limited by my carrier, but the majority of android users upgrade via a contract and therefore Samsung/Apple will always be predominant simply due to the massive amount of money these manufacturers put into market dominance.

Sinkster

Marcel Jennings
  • Forum posts: 56

Aug 19, 2013, 4:54:01 PM via Website

I think Sony can come up and challenge Samsung and Apple. I just read about the lens adapter and the new Honami phone will be very good, especially if they make the mini more powerful than the Samsung and HTC mini phones out now. These are innovations Apple and Samsung are not doing yet...

g-telware
  • Forum posts: 48

Aug 26, 2013, 12:34:05 PM via Website

Apple and samsung are the giants in the smartphone market.

But sony and HTC has some share of market as well and i think if they want to compete with them, then they have to deliver something really special for attracting the customers.