What is the perfect smartphone screen size?

• Replies:10
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Aug 8, 2013, 5:05:19 PM via Website

LG thinks it's 5.2'', Apple sort of thinks it's 4'', phablet lovers want it as big as you can get and mini-lovers want it smaller. What size smartphone display is best? What's more important: battery life, reading comfort, watching movies, pocketability, ease of one-handed use? You tell us!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Louis Hong
  • Forum posts: 20

Aug 12, 2013, 2:30:33 PM via Website

Well Kris, I'm glad you asked! I like my Huawei Ascend mate 's huge screen because unfortunately I have really fat fingers which won't do the trick for smaller displays. The 6.1 inches of my Ascend is perfect!

Adrienne Chan
  • Forum posts: 23

Aug 12, 2013, 3:07:17 PM via Website

I can't stand those bigger displays! Why would I ever need one of those, I'm not a ''gamer''! I just text my friends, check FB, tweet and take pics. I own a Galaxy S3 mini which suits me perfectly.

Kris Carlon

Aug 12, 2013, 3:51:58 PM via Website

Well I had an old HTC Desire until recently that I still regularly used, and it had a 3.7'' screen, now I have a 4.3'' Motorola and an iPhone 5 with a 4'' screen, and in all honesty I don't really notice much of a difference between any of them! They are all fine and I can do what I want on them. I expect when I upgrade (as I know I eventually will) to a 5''+ screen I'll probably love it, even though I'm not a fan of the idea of needing two hands to work my phone. But I have big hands so maybe I won't notice that difference either!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Northernbaygirl
  • Forum posts: 52

Aug 13, 2013, 1:41:48 AM via Website

I also currently own a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini & a Samsung Galaxy player, both of which have a 4 inch screen. I am very happy with the screen size and what I am able to do with the available space (which is mainly texting, skype/whatsapp, using fb/twitter/pinterest/foursquare, playing games & reading emails & news)

I have quite small hands, I find both devices very comfortable to use (the s3 mini is slightly more comfortable as it is curved), my previous phone was the HTC Sensation XE which had a 4.3 inch screen, again I found this phone very easy to handle and operate and although .3 doesn't sound like much of a difference the screen seemed huge compared to a 4 inch screen and the only difference in handling was down to different designs from different manufacturers. I think 5" is the maximum I would go to for a phone screen, although I'm not really bothered about the potential for needing to use both hands to operate it, the 'concern' I do have is the possibility of a larger device not fitting in a pocket as I really dislike carrying my phone in my bag, I like to have it where I can reach it easily.

I have a 7 inch tablet which I use for kindle & google books/magazines reading, keeping up with tech news & forums (such as this one), watching tv/movies/youtube and playing games

Mikkel Skovby
  • Forum posts: 12

Aug 13, 2013, 7:46:43 AM via Website

4,5" to 5,2" is perfect for me. I have big hands so using it one hand is not an issue (except for the top left part of the screen, but there isn't many controls there anyway. I think anything larger will be too big for having it in a pocket. Maybe that is why many girls have their giant Galaxy Notes in their purse :)

Kris Carlon

Aug 13, 2013, 11:46:47 AM via Website

It's interesting how much preferences for screen size seems to come down to hand size. I thought it would have a lot more to do with ease-on-the-eyes and screen capacity for multi-tasking etc. The aversion to the two-handed thing for me is mainly because I almost always use my phone on the go (or while holding a coffee or while doing something else, like cycling - dangerous, I know!). If I'm chilling out then I tend to use my tablet anyway and then two hands isn't a problem. I agree with Mikkel too though, the top-left is always a bit of a weird area! And increasingly small bezels mean there'll be more accidental palm-action going on when you're trying to use the phone one-handed, especially when reaching for those far-away corners of the screen.

Maria Brambova
  • Forum posts: 23

Aug 13, 2013, 3:15:25 PM via Website

I'm not sure if this already exists for smaller smartphone, but I know that the Galaxy Note 8.0 will only recognize your finger or in the case of this tablet, the S-Pen and won't even pick up your palm even if it touches the screen. Does anyone know if this sort of technology exists for smaller phones? That would get rid of that problem that Kris mentions.

Mikkel Skovby
  • Forum posts: 12

Aug 13, 2013, 3:41:34 PM via Website

Regarding screen capacity, I think 4,5" is the minimum for "real" browsing - otherwise you have to zoom around too much. For apps and games smaller will do, as the apps are designed for it.

Kris Carlon

Aug 13, 2013, 3:51:03 PM via Website

Yeah it's a funny beast, screen size. Some games, like Angry Birds, I hate on my phone because my fingertips take up so much room you can hardly be super accurate. So I prefer to play that on my tablet, but then other games like Sniper Shooter I prefer on the small screen because it adds an element of difficulty to the gameplay. It's also good to hear about this no-palm sensitivity too. Nice call!

— modified on Aug 13, 2013, 3:51:14 PM

Marcel Jennings
  • Forum posts: 56

Aug 19, 2013, 4:55:53 PM via Website

4.3'' - 4.5'' is the best. It can fit in your pocket easily and lasts longer with battery. Any bigger get a tablet.